1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Eyed Peas to play Super Bowl halftime show?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Care Bear, Sep 16, 2010.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I can only tell you that at a live outdoor event, they were awful. Maybe they got bad sound guys but it's an unforgiving venue for a musician.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You only see one person playing a trumpet, but you hear six other instruments at the same time.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

IIRC BEP played the Grey Cup in Winnipeg which any band is going to sound like ass in.

The NFL has the $ to pay for the needed equipment to get a good sound out of a half time show, in the CFL you get the most basic of set ups, plus it is usually colder than a witches tit.

I like BEP and the couple times I have seen them perform "live" on TV I thought they were really good. At least they actually sang instead of lip synching (at least they were on Letterman)

Prince is still the gold standard of half time shows. The Who made me wish they died before they got old.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think I've liked a single halftime show since the last time U2 did it and I love Tom Petty. I guess McCartney was pretty good.

The NFL pays bands over $1 million for the gig. I read somewhere that DMB got twice that to do the Thursday night opener, but the band donated it to charity.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Prince was legitimately awesome. I was there. He shredded in the rain.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

How the hell has Bon Jovi not done this yet?

Maybe the NFL is mad at him (it's not a band, people, it's an autocracy) for taking part in that horrendously shitty MLB playoffs promo the last two years.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe they're holding on to Bon Jovi on the off chance Springsteen refuses to do the game in NY/NJ.

8. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I thought there could only be one?

[​IMG]

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I can't believe they get anybody to accept this gig. Even if a group puts on a great performance, people whine. Prince destroyed and yet people all around me bitched about his halftime show.

People whined about Springsteen. They whined about Petty. The Who and the Stones were too old, they said. McCartney was too mellow, they said. About the only consensus one I can remember is U2 -- and that occurred in the 9/11 wake that made people unusually hesitant to criticize anything.

Heck, the remaining members of Led Zeppelin could re-unite and play their only show at the Super Bowl before dying and half the country would stream to Twitter to pan it.

I'm still stunned AC/DC hasn't played the Super Bowl, though. That would be a pretty consensus choice.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bruce will be 702 years old by then (approximately). He's not going to do it.

You may be right. Speaking of that, how the hell has Billy Joel not done it yet?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Going the old route was a reaction to Janet's nipple getting some air. They figured they wouldn't have to worry about nudity with old men.
    Madonna would seem to be a natural for something like this.
    Also wouldn't mind a Van Halen reunion, or Mellencamp in Indy.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

They wouldn't have to worry about nudity with Madonna?

Draft saved Draft deleted