1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BKC--APNewsAlert

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boomer7, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

NEW YORK (AP) -- Associated Press acting like idiots by filing news alerts for every men's and women's tourney game, not doing likewise for early-round playoff games in other sports. Cut crap, please.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I dunno, Boomer...

I always figure it's easier to ignore something when they err on the side of too much than miss something when they err on the side of too little.

3. Or maybe they just started this and will implement it for the upcoming NBA playoffs, et al? Could just be a new initiative.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, let's bitch some more about something that might be helpful.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

wfw

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Yep. I check the wire regularly. It helps me know approximately when to look for the first lead-writethru.

A good thing.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same thing they did during the Winter Olympics.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

They've done news alerts for each medal event at the last couple of Olympics, too. It just seems strange that they wouldn't do it for bigger events like, say, an NFL divisional playoff game or Game 7 of an NBA second-round story.

Guess I'm just used to these news alerts being reserved for major news breaking. Duke beating Lehigh by 40 points in the NCAA women's tourney doesn't seem to fit that description.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There are things about AP that are gripeworthy. This is not one of them.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I assumed the purpose was to push the scores into the many media Web sites that use AP service.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Maybe it wouldn't bother me if it didn't come on the heels of the way the cable news channels overuse and abuse the "BREAKING NEWS" graphics. I don't know -- it just rubbed me (and several co-workers) the wrong way. Must be an especially bitchy shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted