1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre story at Purdue: Body in closet

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KnuteRockne, Mar 20, 2007.

1. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

How the hell did the body not smell enough to prompt somebody to complain earlier?

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

you ever been in a men's dorm, sportschick?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yes, but still.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Remember, he was instantly fried.

Folks probably thought someone was just making some popcorn.

(God, add that one to my Hell tab......)

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Dorm rooms can't smell like a bastard, but the smell of a dead body is a stink like no other.

Had to cover a dead body story one time, and the stench was gag-inducing for quite a distance around town.

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I lived in that dorm my freshmen year. I can kind of -- although not totally -- see how someone might not smell the kid for a while.

That utility room -- it's bigger than a closet -- is in the bowels of the basement of the common area. The dorm is set up with two wings -- when I was there it was men in one and women in the other -- and a large, two floor structure that joins the two in the middle. Back then it housed a lobby, cafeteria, kitchen, housing and security offices on the main floor. In the basement was a radio station, game room, snack bar, laundry room and the utility room.

If I remember correctly -- it has been 11 years -- the only thing near the utility room was the laundry room. It sounds like he was on the far side of the utility room where there is an access to the outside. And those doors were always shut up tight.

Depending on how well air circulated out of that room, I could see how it might not have gotten pungent enough in the hallway between the utility room and laundry room for anyone to have said "Shit, I think there's something wrong in there."

I mean the men's half of the building stank to high heaven anyway.

I can tell you one thing: That dorm ain't air conditioned. If this had happened in August, it wouldn't have taken two months for people to notice the smell.

9. There's a tasteless Najeh Davenport reference out there somewhere, dammit.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. That's the joke I would have made, if not for my fear of eternal damnation.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Oh my. That is a truly disturbing story. My prayers go out to the family.

Draft saved Draft deleted