1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre foods you've eaten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain Obvious, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Calf fries? Bah. ... LAMB FRIES!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4mqCDakVQ

2. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

1) Smother them in mayonnaise.
    2) Enjoy.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can understand someone not enjoying the show, but I don't get the anger.
    It's an American Tv show produced for an American audience. That is your reference point for what is and what is not bizarre.
    Further, he frequently makes it clear whether the food being eaten is considered common in the location in which he is eating it or whether it's considered unusual even there.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You had me until the last line. I fucking hate that guy and show. Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations was a much, much better show with an identical concept.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Zimmern's approach has been consistent - everything is upbeat and favorable.
    Bourdain started as snarky and critical, but then backed off. He has never mocked or snarked at locals the way he did in the Romania, Namibia and Uzbekistan episodes. He was not nice to those people, and it made for better TV.
    I've liked Bourdain on TV, and I've read three of his books, but he's become a hypocrite. He's guesting on 'Top Chef' and doing some awful network game show. He needs to rein it in.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I had beef heart at a local restaurant. It was good, tasted like -- beef.

Have also head chicken hearts. Did not like them.

7. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Do you actually take the time to watch the show and/or listen to what he says?

Zimmern is such an advocate for eating what's available, what's fresh, using the whole animal, etc. He never calls the food bizarre, or strange-- despite that being the show's title. If anything, the purpose of the show is to demystify other global cuisines/foods. I think he really wishes Americans ate like the rest of the world, with less waste, and more usage of entire animals and "off cuts" of proteins. And, his new show focuses entirely on the United States, which I think is even more impactful. We're not limited to eating just what the local grocery store sells.

cjericho likes this.
  8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Tried scorpion yesterday. Tasted like crunchy spice.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Chitterlings

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Done that. Absolutely did not like how chewy they were. Are they always chewy, or did I get a bad serving?

Some areas have chitlin dinners as fundraisers. Piney River comes to mind in central VA. My dad loves them.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

What could be wrong about fried hog fat?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Chitlins are not hog fat. They're intestines.
    At the taco truck, they're called tripas.

Fried hog fat is pork rinds, also known as chicharron.

Draft saved Draft deleted