1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre foods you've eaten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain Obvious, Feb 14, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My boss is a big hunter and on some days in the summer he helps an area farmer eliminate a pigeon problem. I was with him on a particular day where he shot a pigeon, took it home, cut it open and took out the breast meat, then put it in a frying pan with butter. It was actually not bad at all and even bordering on pretty good.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Bovine testes

3. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Had some horse sausage last weekend. Looked dreadful, but tasted like a smoky jerky.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Was just getting ready to post this.

When I was an undergrad, we had a day in my Spanish class where we were trying to describe the weirdest food we've eaten. I asked my French Spanish teacher (she was actually from France, and yes, it was weird) how you would say Rocky Mountain Oysters in Spanish. And then I had to explain to her what they were.

Half the class thought I was making shit up. She actually didn't believe me that people actually ate that. The other half of the class had all been to at least one nut fry.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pero or dog.

6. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

7. dog eat dog world

This isn't bizarre to me but turtle soup. Really good Cajun cuisine. Rattlesnake rocks too. And chocolate covered grasshoppers.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I have about a kilo of turkey hearts in the freezer. Still looking for a recipe. Anyone here got one they recommend?

And there's one container remaining of a beef heart stew I made a while back. At least I a know HC won't eat it. :)

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Crickets while in Thailand. Possibly dog. It was unidentified meat on a stick. And it was delicious at 3 a.m.

Recently had a bone marrow burger while in NYC. It was fantastic. I thought it was going to be awful, but figured what the hell, I'd probably not have a chance to try it again anytime soon.

11. dog eat dog world

Also called calf fries.

12. dog eat dog world

My daughter just told me of a friend of hers who when she goes to Vegas brings back this fried larvae...maggots....she thinks she remembers it described as the texture of corn nuts. She didn't remember because she was too busy gagging.

Draft saved Draft deleted