1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre foods you've eaten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain Obvious, Feb 14, 2013.

1. In light of the horse meat scandal in the U.K. with frozen lasagnas, what's the weirdest food you've eaten? I've seen a few Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and don't know how he has such a strong stomach.

For me, I ate a chocolate-covered cricket when Cold Stone Creamery had it as a mix-in (you got a coupon for a free ice cream if you ate one.
  2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I was on a business trip to Mexico City and the guys I was with figured it would be fun to see if the gringo would eat Escamoles.

I ate to be good to my host even though none of the Mexicans touched it.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Squid. A whole squid.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Bacon" wrapped "hot dogs" in TJ.
  5. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

I eat lots of offal, but that's probably it.

Tripe (lining of a cow's stomach), various pig parts (head cheese, feet, tails, etc).

One of the best things I ever had were the crispy fried pig's tails at Craigie on Main in Cambridge, MA

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Active Member

While I was living in Beijing, I frequented a restaurant that my co-workers and I were pretty sure was run by the Russian mob. It had a great menu, though, and one thing I immediately knew I had to try was the spicy bullfrog. (Yes, it was crunchy, too.)

There was also a restaurant less than a block from my apartment that served donkey. For some reason, my suggestion to call it Hotay only received blank stares.
  7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

I ate kangaroo and camel in Australia. Tasty. Kangaroo cheese on pizza was nasty though. I've also eaten crocodile steak.
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Jelly. No, wait, syrup.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I hate that show so much.

Zimmern is a disgusting troll, who talks with food in his mouth and thus gets it all over his ugly mug. And he goes to other countries and eats local food, calling it "BIZARRE!!!!!" while the rubes here say "Golly gee, that sure is bizarre!!!!"

Screw you, jerk. It's not "BIZARRE!!!!" It's what they eat. Sorry that it is different from what you do.

So: I haven't eaten anything "BIZARRE!!!!" I have, however, sampled the local food in a foreign nation or two. And I somehow resisted the need to scream that it was different than what I usually eat.

HATE that show.

The ice cream cricket, though, that's legit. Nasty.
  10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fire-roasted crickets in a park in South Korea. You know, you just roll with it.
  11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

I had kangaroo in Ireland. Didn't want to touch it at first but then I figured I might not get another chance. Was surprisingly good. Had goat in Toronto last year. Kind of tasteless.
  12. How bizarre are the dishes Zimmern features? It woud be interesting to note if they are bizarre to that particular culture.
Draft saved Draft deleted