1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre college football play - need a ruling

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Oct 1, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That sounds brutal.

My senior year our punter (and QB, and generally best player on the worst football team ever) sent one high in the air, it got caught in a breeze and landed 10 yards behind him with a thud. First and last time I have ever seen that.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And even then it's not illegal from a penalty standpoint. It's called first touching. Receiving team can take the ball from that spot since the kicking team touched it before it went at least 10 yards.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This was a college play and I'm not as in-depth of those rules as I am in high school, but for high school, this is the correct way of looking at it. Or, how does it hurt the team that committed the penalty the most? Loose ball play, mark it off from the LOS. In high school, illegal batting is 15 yards.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Then the official got it wrong. It's how he explained it.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Not only does the ball have to go 10 yards, it has to also touch the ground, too.

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I've never seen a kick that defied the law of gravity

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Me neither. However, you can't pooch it 15 yards up in the air and catch it before it hits the ground, either.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

All loose ball fouls behind the line of scrimmage on the defense are enforced from the line of scrimmage.

Draft saved Draft deleted