1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre 8-man score of the week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 9, 2010.

1. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Why you gotta being me into this???

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Kid had apparently just come back from a concussion.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/29/2368427/spring-hill-football-player-dies.html

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Yeah; I neglected to mention: 8-man score, 11-man game.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Still hard to top last year's Mississippi junior college state championship game: East Mississippi 75, Gulf Coast 71. And these were two of the top 10 juco teams in the nation, too.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I saw someone else say that the players might have backed off making hits after the player was taken out of the stadium but I think the score was already pretty high at that point.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bizarre 11-man score from last night (Texas 4A, at that):

Jacksonville 84, Nacogdoches 81.

TWELVE overtimes.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Reports from the game say Nacogdoches had to win by 8 to have a chance to advance to the playoffs, so they kept intentionally missing two-point conversions to force more overtimes. Of course, they only would have been able to win by 8 in overtime periods when they had the ball first.

(Jacksonville had to win, too, so they couldn't do anything silly like kick a field goal that wouldn't win the game just to trim the margin.)

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Interesting. In Kansas, district games that go to overtime cannot be counted by more than one point for tiebreaker purposes. Thus, if you win 84-81 in overtime, you get a Plus-1. Win 84-81 in regulation, you get a Plus-3.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Since this is the bizarre football thread, figured this would be a good place to post this. Video of a kickoff in a windy Minnesota high school game that goes 12 yards -- backward.
    It's a moot point since it looks like the kick went out of bounds, but if it had traveled 10 yards in the air, then got blown backward that far, would the kicking team be able to recover it? Or does it have to hit the ground first?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Kickoff-into-40-mile-per-hour-wind-travels-backw?urn=highschool-281103

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

It is bizarre that you mention this.

During a BIG highschool football game Friday night, Team A attempts an onside kick; Ball goes into the air, and goes right through the hands of a Team A player. Goes 10 yards. Ball is recovered by Team B. Bunch of us refs were talking about it after the game......What if Team A catches it......what do you have?

Answer is; 15 yard penalty for kick-catch interference; YEP. Ball HAS to touch the ground before it can be recovered by the kicking team.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Slightly different than what I was wondering.
    Team A kicks off from the 40, the ball gets to Team B's 45 before the wind takes it, and the ball lands inbounds at Team A's 35. Team A then recovers after it hits the ground. Is it a legal onside kick, since it went more than 10 yards in the air? Or is it illegal since it hit the ground less than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage?

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I wouldn't think that any ruling would be based on what the ball does while it's in the air. You can catch a ball that's over an out-of-bounds line as long as you're inbounds. Wouldn't the same principle apply here?

Draft saved Draft deleted