1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre 8-man score of the week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 9, 2010.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I covered a game with 7 third-quarter touchdowns last night ... and it was an 11-man game. Final score 69-21. The winning team's point total and margin in the third quarter alone (outscored the losers 34-14) would both have been season highs.

So after covering a game with 90 combined points last night, today I covered a junior college football game ... with 90 combined points (71-19 with the winnning team gaining 40 first downs).

2. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

How about Auburn 65 Arkansas 43?

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Almost started a new thread for this week's insanity.

Perhaps I should have:

Spring Hill 99, Osawatomie 72

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Aren't those 11-man schools, like 4A schools? If so, it's all the more shocking.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Found a blog post that said Spring Hill runs the wishbone and threw one pass all game. And yeah, it's 11-man. Yowza.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Holy shitballs. I wonder how long it would take to do that boxscore.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The box score would be longer than the story. What do you ask a coach after that? Question him on why he didn't try to break 100?

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Did that game take four hours?

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Some sadness from this game.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/29/2368427/spring-hill-football-player-dies.html

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Holy shit

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Good grief. What a bizarre, bizarre sequence of events.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It was a bizarre week. I covered a game last night that had four onside kicks, a stolen handoff returned for a touchdown, a hook and lateral that was lateraled five yards over the back's head and then returned by the defense 50 yards, an ejection, a kid carted off on a stretcher and a team with 18 penalties that won. There was also a squib kick returned for a score.

To top it off, the losing team had 147 yards passing and 9 yards rushing in the first half, but 165 yards rushing and 23 yards passing in the second.

Draft saved Draft deleted