1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bizarre 8-man score of the week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 9, 2010.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

did either team punt? did the worst athletes just play defense?

2. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

We did not punt. The other team punted 7 times for a grand total of 44 yards.
    326 rushing yards
    389 passing yards (7 TDs for starting QB--state record at the time)

The score was 81-48, I apologize.

We were up 55-12 when we took out the starting D and 61-20 at the half.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

that makes sense and good job by your coach.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I see what you're saying, Oz, but I can actually justify bigger schools taking coverage for granted, etc., because those are where most of the readers are, at least in the case of my paper.

What I don't get are the complaints we're getting from supporters of a local Catholic school (a small 1A) that is starting up its football program this year. They're playing a JV schedule against a bunch of low-rent academies and home-school teams (I shit you not, they have them here). They have a parent who e-mails us results, and we've been running his stuff as notebook briefs, but that's not good enough for one douchebag fan, who wants us to cover them on Friday nights, home and away. He gets highly pissed when we explain the realities of life to him.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My problem was the bigger schools was this: We never, ever, missed a home event. Football, soccer, swimming, you name it. We were there. And the complaint was that we didn't do enough, despite all the features, previews and whatever else we gave them in addition to the game stories.

God forbid we send one person to cover an eight-man game -- we had more than 100 schools in our coverage area, spanning from Wichita to the Colorado border -- every now and then to appease our western, rural readers. Given how many eight-man schools were in our coverage area, all those small towns do add up to something.

6. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

His enthusiasm will be curbed when Madison Central curb stomps NWR. Northwest Rankin is one of the worst 7-0 teams I've ever seen.
    While we're turning this into Mississippi Sports Talk, SJ edition, the 76-50 game between Cathedral and Enterprise-Lincoln (a 1A and a 2A school, respectively) earlier this season deserves a mention on this thread, too.
    Also had an eight-man game last month between Briarfield Academy and Collegiate Christian that ended up 82-40. Briarfield has a kid with 2,170 rushing yards and 33 touchdowns so far -- in eight games.

7. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

76-50 1A-2A game is pretty impressive. Our game was a 1A game too. But my school had four seniors play at Troy after graduating that year.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Tonight

53-2

Done at halftime.

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This week's 8-man madness:

Goessel 96, St. John's Military 70

10. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

From Friday night's 8-man action in the Mississippi Association of Independent Schools:
    Tensas Academy (La.) 74
    Collegiate Christian Academy 72
    I think Tensas hit a jumper at the buzzer to win it.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Gossel's scores this season:

Wakefield 66, Goessel 28
    Hope 48, Goessel 0
    Lincoln 84, Goessel 34
    Goessel 60, Claflin 58
    Solomon 84, Goessel 60
    Little River 60, Goessel 10
    Goessel 96, St. John's Military School 70

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So weird seeing Claflin as an eight-man school.

Draft saved Draft deleted