1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bittersweet Kernan column on The Scooter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Phil Rizzuto is 89, so he's in the bonus round of what's been a wonderful life.

Nevertheless, it's sad to read of his struggles, even though his spirit seems to be strong:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rizzuto_fights_on_in_latest_battle_sports_kevin_kernan.htm

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Rizzuto was into our local diner a few weeks ago and posed for a picture. While he is frail he looked better than in that Post photo.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Bill James basically wrote a whole book around the fact that Scooter shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. Really interesting stuff.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Fuck Bill James. This isn't about whether Scooter should be in the Hall of Fame, you jackass.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Excellent job by Kernan and I e-mailed him to tell him that. I'm surprised no other Yankees beat writer has written anything about Rizzuto's problems. I knew there had to be something wrong with him when he wasn't at the Yankees' Old Timers Day. Same with Whitey Ford. At least, now I know what Rizzuto's situation is.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was a wonderful column. I grew up with the Scooter announcing games on WPIX and I really miss him. I'm sure I would have loved him as a player. He has a joyousness about him that is infectious. I know he was a homer as an announcer, but he was always (to me, I know others don't agree) way more innocuous and loveable than other homers, such as Ron Santo. Years ago the Village Voice used to run a column called "The Poetry of Phil Rizzuto" or something like that. They'd just transcribe play-by-play from actual games and run it as a column. It was pretty funny. Anyhow, in his honor, here's a a few moments from a typical Bill White/ Scooter inning:

Scooter: You know White, there's a full moon out tonight and the Yankees always win when there's a full moon out.
    White: Is that so, Scooter?
    Scooter: Holy cow, base hit by Nettles. That extends the hitting streak to four games! (pause) That's right, White. (another pause) Did I tell you about my round of golf yesterday?
    White: No, you didn't Scooter.
    Scooter: Well, I shot a hole in one!
    White: I don't believe you, Scooter. I've seen you swing a golf club. Nuh uh. Didn't happen. (meanwhile, Reggie Jackson hits a single, Nettles goes to third. No one says a thing)
    Scooter: It's the truth, White! I tell ya, it was a short par 3 and I hit a perfect five iron. It was me, Yogi and my good friend Armando the Barber from Hackensack. Best haircuts in New Jersey and the son of a gun only charges $5!
    White: Next time tell him to take a little more off the sides, Scooter. It's looking a little bushy. (White's voice goes up two octaves) And that ball is into the gap! Nettles scores! Here comes Jackson! There will be no play at the plate. And Sweet Lou goes into second standing up.
    Scooter: Holy cow, that Piniella is a heck of a hitter. I told you the Yankees always win when there's a full moon out, White!
    White: Yes you did, Scooter.
    Scooter: (pause) You know the best part of the hole in one, White?
    White: Tell me, Scooter.
    Scooter: We went for canolis afterward. And Yogi treated. That cheap son of a gun hasn't picked up a check since 1962. I need to hit a hole in one more often!
    White: (belly laughing) You're too much, Scooter. (meanwhile, Roy White walks on four pitches. No one says a thing.)
    Scooter: And while we have a minute, I'd like to wish a happy birthday to Edna McCloskey from Hoboken. She's 83 years young today and she's a big Ron Guidry fan. Boy that Gator is something.
    White: He sure is, Scooter.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ragu -- you are correct, the best thing about his homerism was that he was harmless. It wasn't that the Yankess were great and everyone else was terrible, he just seemed so happy when the Yankees did well.

I also loved that the other announcers always ripped Scooter for leaving the Stadium early to beat traffic, especially Bill White. I think that White said that the Yankees should have held Phil Rizzuto day on the GW Bridge.

Draft saved Draft deleted