1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bitcoin's Creator Revealed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And I contend a translator could have done just as good a job and likely been cheaper for somebody who is in financial trouble.

Like I said, I don't blame him for lawyering up. If he isn't Bitcoin's creator, he'll get a nice payday out of this.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Or at least he can make the magazine change its name to "News"week.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"WeThinkThisMightBeNews"week

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Will he?

I don't know. Assuming Newsweek completely screwed up on this and the dude had nothing to do with bitcoin, what exactly is the case? It's not libel. I'm not sure legally how this one lines up. He's been inconvenienced by a report that's wrong but not libelous. It's worth something, I suppose, but I don't know how much. I'm inclined to think this goes away with a relatively small settlement.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's libelous, right? He's a private person, so the standard is really low. Invasion of privacy, as well.

I bet he gets a pretty significant settlement, whatever that might mean.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Libel requires defamation. He wasn't defamed. He was essentially called a computer genius.

7. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Newsweek should offer to pay him $5 million in Bitcoin. If he can unlock them, boom, real money and he's guilty.

If he can't, he's not their guy.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I guess you're probably joking, but if he is the guy, isn't he supposed to have $400 million worth of Bitcoin already? If so, $5 million isn't likely to make him out himself.

9. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

This guy has $400 million worth of Bitcoin? Seems like he's living a pretty humble life, said the faceless, convenient expository character.

10. YankeeFan

The LA Sheriff's Department confirmed that exchange! Keep up. LOL.

11. YankeeFan

The New York Times takes a swing at identifying the creator of Bitcoin:

It is one of the great mysteries of the digital age.

The hunt for Satoshi Nakamoto, the elusive creator of Bitcoin, has captivated even those who think the virtual currency is some sort of online Ponzi scheme. A legend has emerged from a jumble of facts: Someone using the name Satoshi Nakamoto released the software for Bitcoin in early 2009 and communicated with the nascent currency’s users via email — but never by phone or in person. Then, in 2011, just as the technology began to attract wider attention, the emails stopped. Suddenly, Satoshi was gone, but the stories grew larger.

Over the last year, as I worked on a book about the history of Bitcoin, it was hard to avoid being drawn in by the almost mystical riddle of Satoshi Nakamoto’s identity. Just as I began my research, Newsweek made a splash with a cover article in March 2014 claiming that Satoshi was an unemployed engineer in his 60s who lived in suburban Los Angeles. Within a day of publication, however, most people knowledgeable about Bitcoin had concluded that the magazine had the wrong man.

Many in the Bitcoin community told me that, in deference to the Bitcoin creator’s clear desire for privacy, they didn’t want to see the wizard unmasked. But even among those who said this, few could resist debating the clues the founder left behind. As I had these conversations with the programmers and entrepreneurs who are most deeply involved in Bitcoin, I encountered a quiet but widely held belief that much of the most convincing evidence pointed to a reclusive American man of Hungarian descent named Nick Szabo.

http://nyti.ms/1JPoqSc

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And next year the creator will be some dude from Sheboygan named Eddie Guadagno.

Draft saved Draft deleted