1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bitcoin's Creator Revealed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 7, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because he solved a fairly important and interesting cryptography problem, and a bunch of loons have turned it into a tulip bulb bubble with a market cap that has touched 10 digits.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Forbes:

3. YankeeFan

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Anyone still want to argue that editing isn't necessary because no one cares if facts are wrong?

5. YankeeFan

I think a big problem here is that there are people who are experts in things like Bitcoin and cryptography, and an article like this is going to get incredible scrutiny from them.

The author appears to not be enough of an expert on these subjects to write, or defend the article.

Felix Salmon:

6. MisterCreosote

An even bigger problem is that you posted this here, and in less than an hour, multiple major flaws in the reporting and the final product had been exposed.

Things that, you know, any editor worth his/her salt would've asked before this got published. Let alone published on the cover of a magazine's first print edition in more than a year, that they just happen to be charging $8 a pop for.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Goodman is, flat-out, wrong.

She's definitely wrong in 2014.

The work has to stand by itself, no matter where it's published, no matter who publishes it.

"Just trust me," doesn't cut it.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, she's not going to get it. Especially not with such an obviously made-up quote to open it.

9. YankeeFan

The L.A. County Sheriff's office confirmed the quote!

10. MisterCreosote

The quote was real, with a large part of the conversation excerpted that made it so intentionally misleading it may as well have been false.

11. YankeeFan

Exactly.

But, it was a better story the way she told it.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Goodman: "This is the guy who created Bitcoin!"

Cop: "What the fuck is Bitcoin?"

Goodman: "It's like money, but with numbers."

Cop: "The fuck?"

Goodman: "Yeah, it's like a formula, and you encode it, and once you have the code, you have the currency. It has the potential to shake up the entire financial system."

Cop: "Whatever, I'm not sure I give a fuck. But you need to get off this dude's porch."

Goodman: "But he created Bitcoin! It's worth billions!"

Cop: "This guy created Bitcoin?"

Goodman: "Pretty sure. I thought his shit car would be a little more tricked out though."

Cop: "Yeah, looks like he's living a pretty humble life. Some financial currency genius, lady."

Fin.

Draft saved Draft deleted