1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bitcoin's Creator Revealed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 7, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New York Times:

2. YankeeFan

Reuters:

3. YankeeFan

Tom Keene: What is the direct evidence you have that this gentleman changed the technology world with this cryptocurrency?

Leah Goodman: I connected all these dots through. Through forensic research. And forensic research isn’t about supporting what you think is true. It’s about eliminating what you think a candidate may or may not represent. All you’re doing — I want to make this really clear right now — you’re eliminating candidates. We cannot eliminate this man at all. And in my confrontation with him, he confirmed his involvement. End of story.

Tom Keene: Is that journalism? Where you’re working on a Type 2 construct, where you’re pulling away, to “we’ve eliminated these other people”? But, there could be other people out there that you could do the same action with, right?

Leah Goodman: You could go off on the other way, and say “let’s find reasons to support a person”. But the best way to do forensic research is to eliminate people, not the other way around. You don’t say “I have a conjecture, let me find every way to support it”. No.

http://felixsalmon.tumblr.com/post/78881618173/tom-keene-what-is-the-direct-evidence-you-have

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Does "forensic" really mean what that person thinks it means?

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Since I'm woefully ignorant on politics and economics, can someone explain to me why the creator of Bitcoin wouldn't reveal his identity?

6. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

My take is that bitcoin is imaginary, just some code, but people have invested real money in it. If anyone knew who created bitcoin, they could steal him and force him to make more code and get filthy rich and then slit his throat?

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

In a bit of a tangent, the AP story which moved Friday night included a direct quote from Newsweek's editor Jim Impoco, where he told the digital network Mashable that he was prepared for the "shitstorm" the bitcoin story would incite.

What surprised me was the Associated Press leaving "shitstorm" completely written out in the version of the story we placed on one of our pages Friday night for Saturday's edition. Thankfully, we caught it on the printed proof and paraphrased it, changing it to say Impoco was prepared for a storm of criticism.

We didn't want to catch a, um, shitstorm of anger from our readers (and our boss).

Someone at AP eventually caught it too, because later versions looked like this:

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Speaking of shit, it sure looks like Newsweak has shit the bed on this story.

9. YankeeFan

Earlier in the evening, Impoco had taken to Twitter to respond to Pando’s Adam Penenberg who was “disturbed by Newsweek not even admitting the possibility that its Bitcoin story could be wrong. It’s all the wrong kind of stubborn.” Impoco’s response was firm: “We said we stand by the story. What more is there to say. If we are wrong nobody has made the case.” Impoco also confirmed in a video interview for IBT that there is “not a thing” he’d change about the story.

In person, though, Impoco sounds less resolute.

“There were so many things that led up to [finding Nakamoto],” Impoco said. “We eliminated every other possible person.”

But he also insists that Newsweek did not claim it had definitively, without a doubt, found the man behind Bitcoin. “We hedged in the article and explained what we knew for sure… We’re ready to admit that we were wrong if someone can prove it.”

Regarding the less-than-slam-dunk evidence outlined in the piece, Impoco explains that he and Goodman had grappled with how much transparency about the reporting process they should offer in the story. Perhaps ironically, Impoco says he and Goodman were concerned about distracting from the core of the story.

http://pando.com/2014/03/08/newsweek-eic-tells-pando-weve-hired-security-to-protect-our-reporter-companys-social-media-head-says-mood-is-yay-we-kick-ass-we-won/

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

When a recession can sprout forth as a direct result of a government program,
    --> then you've certainly got the makings for the worst administration ever.
    Or at least the worst since Andrew Jackson, the Panic of 1837 and its resultant recession.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Oh, and while you are at it, why is the identity of the creator of Bitcoin sufficiently interesting to draw all of the attention and effort that is revealed here?

12. YankeeFan

Jack, can't you tap into your CIA connections and reveal whether or not this is the guy?

Draft saved Draft deleted