1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bitcoin's Creator Revealed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 7, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My favorite part of all this is that the author retweeted the Newsweek tweet linking to the article. She engaged folks in a discussion of the article, defending some early criticism, and retweeting the tweets of those who defended her.

And, then, as the criticism grew, she went dark.

Who do we hear from first, Leah McGrath Goodman or Caleb Hannan?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'll put .05 BTC -- which, as of 9:45 a.m., is worth $31.99 -- on McGrath Goodman.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's almost entirely based on anecdotal evidence. And, if you know anyone who has worked with classified or proprietary information, his behavior is not at all unique.

4. YankeeFan

You think she got it right?

I don't know. I'm leaning the other way. As MC points out, it's all circumstantial/anecdotal evidence. She went with the hunch that the guys name really was Satoshi Nakamoto, and then went out to prove her theory.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, that we'll hear from her before Hannan.

6. YankeeFan

Oh. Duh. I forgot I had asked multiple questions.

The fact that she's a "Senior Writer and Finance Editor" at Newsweek, as opposed to a freelancer, probably does mean that she will surface first.

It will be interesting to see.

7. MisterCreosote

Here it is straight from the horse's mouth. "Skillfully manipulative" is the description of the reporter that immediately comes to mind.

Let's just say it's a lot easier to not find something that disproves it rather than find something that proves it.

The first was when she noticed that the author of the 2008 paper had used British and American spellings: “We found that was something Dorian Nakamoto did. That was the first thing, they have the same name and very similar spelling quirks.”

The second was learning more about his political ideology. Nakamoto’s daughter said that he had told her to “not be under the government’s thumb.” She told McGrath Goodman, “He was very wary of the government, taxes, and people in charge.”

“It’s how he writes and how he thinks, and it really matches up,” McGrath Goodman said.

And the final confirmation before speaking with Nakamoto came from his brother, who had described his technological background, saying, “He’s a brilliant man. I’m just a humble engineer. He’s very focused and eclectic in his way of thinking. Smart, intelligent, mathematics, engineering, computers. You name it, he can do it.”

McGrath Goodman also said that in her interviews with Nakamoto’s family and associates she would ask them to “please tell [her] information that precludes this from being him.” And they couldn’t tell her anything that did.

She also said that the team of forensic analysts she worked with would regularly try to find out why a suspect they had wasn’t Satoshi Nakamoto.

When she finally confronted him, she was “open all the way up to when I talked to him for him to say, ‘No, this is ridiculous,’” she told BuzzFeed. “He was completely clear in his statement that he didn’t want to talk about it. He wasn’t angry, he just really didn’t want to have any conversation about it.”

McGrath Goodman asked him, “If you have any reason to tell me that this is wrong, that it’s not you, you have to tell me now.”

Instead, he said, “I am no longer involved in that and I cannot discuss it.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewzeitlin/how-leah-mcgrath-goodman-found-the-inventor-of-bitcoin

8. YankeeFan

McGrath Goodman said that the search for Satoshi Nakamoto began only two months ago. With the help of two forensic analysts, Sharon Sergeant and Barbara Mathews, she searched through everything posted by Satoshi Nakamoto and then looked for someone named Satoshi Nakamoto in public databases. “One thing I found interesting was that a lot of amazing journalists I look up to, instead of looking for his name, looked at all the coders in the world who might have done it.”

Would love to hear what these two folks have to say. Do they back her story?

9. MisterCreosote

Gavin Andresen ‏@gavinandresen

I'm disappointed Newsweek decided to dox the Nakamoto family, and regret talking to Leah.

By the way, I had to look it up, but "doxing" is "the practice of investigating and revealing a target subject’s personally identifiable information, such as home address, workplace information and credit card numbers, without consent."

A bit more:

http://www.newstatesman.com/future-proof/2014/03/reasons-be-wary-newsweeks-bitcoin-inventor-%E2%80%9Cdiscovery%E2%80%9D

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Did the real Satoshi Nakamoto just say Newsweek has wrong guy?"

http://lat.ms/1cIjBsC

11. MisterCreosote

This guy, whoever he is, definitely has a tech-geek Keyser Soze thing going on.

I like it.

12. YankeeFan

L.A. County Sheriff's Office flushes out the Deputy's quote:

Draft saved Draft deleted