1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bitcoin's Creator Revealed?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 7, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ragu mentioned the Newsweek story on the Bitcoin thread, but this looks to be blowing up. Newsweek either has a big scoop, or a spectacular failure. A lot of people think they got it wrong, and the subject of the article denied to the AP he is the creator. He says he misunderstood the Newsweek reporter.

Here's the Newsweek story: http://mag.newsweek.com/2014/03/14/bitcoin-satoshi-nakamoto.html

Here's the AP story: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-exclusive-man-denies-hes-bitcoin-founder

What do you think? Did they find him, or not?

2. YankeeFan

During a car ride and then later over sushi lunch at the AP bureau in downtown Los Angeles, Nakamoto spoke at length about his life, career and family, addressing many of the assertions in Newsweek's piece.

He also said a key portion of the piece — where he is quoted telling the reporter on his doorstep before two police officers, "I am no longer involved in that and I cannot discuss it" — was misunderstood.

Nakamoto said he is a native of Beppu, Japan who came to the U.S. as a child in 1959. He speaks both English and Japanese, but his English isn't flawless. Asked if he said the quote, Nakamoto responded, "no."

"I'm saying I'm no longer in engineering. That's it," he said of the exchange. "And even if I was, when we get hired, you have to sign this document, contract saying you will not reveal anything we divulge during and after employment. So that's what I implied."

"It sounded like I was involved before with bitcoin and looked like I'm not involved now. That's not what I meant. I want to clarify that," he said.

Newsweek writer Leah McGrath Goodman, who spent two months researching the story, told the AP: "I stand completely by my exchange with Mr. Nakamoto. There was no confusion whatsoever about the context of our conversation —and his acknowledgment of his involvement in bitcoin."

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't know about any of that, but I'm 99 percent certain the following words were never actually said, so it's not a good start:

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Police officers who speak in bad Shonda Rhimes dialog? Seems plausible!

5. YankeeFan

RickStain pointed this out on the other thread, and it struck me when I read it too.

Sounds very "narrative" driven.

We're supposed to believe the cop who responded knew the name of Bitcoin's creator -- or even knew what Bitcoin was -- and then threw in the perfect editorial comment to fit into the story?

Just a little too perfect.

6. YankeeFan

Here's where the actual creator of Bitcoin denies he is the subject of the Newsweek article:

http://p2pfoundation.ning.com/forum/topic/listForContributor?user=0ye0gncqg772o

Like BYH, he returned to a forum, after a long absence to issue the denial.

7. YankeeFan

Asked if Newsweek still stood by Goodman’s account, editor-in-chief Jim Impoco wrote back: “Yes. Standing by our story. Yes.”

http://gawker.com/newsweek-editor-in-chief-we-stand-by-our-bitcoin-story-1538363931?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

8. MisterCreosote

The reporter really doesn't know why Nakamoto would call the cops?

She initiated contact with the guy under false pretenses, and the guy stopped talking when asked about Bitcoin. The reporter then hounded him and his family for weeks before showing up at his house.

But, "It seemed similarly implausible that Nakamoto's first response to my knocking at his door would be to call the cops"?

Really?

9. YankeeFan

Yeah, lots of people raising questions of the ethics involved.

Besides the initiating contact under false pretenses, they published identifiable photos of his house and car.

If they got this wrong, this guy is going to own Newsweek. Too bad it's already been shown to be worth only $1.00.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Which, as of 9:29 this morning, based on $640 per coin, would be .0015 BTC ...

11. MisterCreosote

Also, I'm guessing that the conversation the reporter had with him in his driveway didn't include the question, "Did you create bitcoin?", and the answer, "Yes."

If the exchange exactly happened like is documented, as the reporter claims, then I can't see how "There was no confusion whatsoever about the context of our conversation." It seems the only person she mentioned bitcoin to was the eloquent cop.

And, all things being equal, Nakamoto's response, "I'm saying I'm no longer in engineering. That's it. And even if I was, when we get hired, you have to sign this document, contract saying you will not reveal anything we divulge during and after employment. So that's what I implied" is much, much more believable than the reporter's claim.

12. YankeeFan

Of course, if he did create Bitcoin, and wanted to remain anonymous, these are the kinds of things he would be saying.

This is Newsweek's saving grace at this point.

But, it should be fairly easy for him to prove he didn't create it.

Draft saved Draft deleted