1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bitcoin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

As it turns out: The dollar's specific utility is as money, too.

You can't eat gold or silver. You can burn it to keep warm. You can't even really fashion primitive tools out of it.

Gold has value because it's shiny and rare. That's it. It works as currency because we (us, you, me, humans, the world) accept it as currency. It's pretty portable, and as you said, easily dividable.

The dollar is valuable also because it's pretty portable and easily dividable. It works as currency because we (us, you, me, humans, the world) accept it as currency. The great news for Americans is we control the world's only dollar mine. ... and we protect it with the greatest military the world has ever known.

How long have the "End Fiat Currency!!!!!" folks been predicting doom and gloom? When will those predictions finally come true?

And were we any safer from economic calamity back when the world embraced the gold standard?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As is Bitcoin's, right? I'm not sure why Ragu thinks that gold has utility but bitcoin does not. Pedigree?

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Gold has universal acceptance as currency; bitcoin doesn't.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There was a show about the Bitcoin on NPR.

Monetary experts put the utility value of gold (its value as a material in electronics and industry) at about 20 percent of its market value.

Though gold does have some physical value, most of its value comes from being an accepted form of economic exchange (money).

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There is also this fun story of a Norwegian man, who bought $27 worth of Bitcoins in '09, forgets about them, then discovers four years later that they're worth $800K+

http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2013/10/norwegian-man-bought-27-worth-bitcoins-2009-now-800000/

Kicking myself now .... even though I had never heard of it until about 2 months ago.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dollars only work as currency as long as people have faith in.

Unlike gold, there is nothing stopping our central bank from figuratively printing more and more of them(they do this through zero interest rate loans to a handful of crony banks that then inject newly created money into the economy. ... and by buying up assets in a relatively new disastrous experiment to inject money into our economy) .

It has been doing it at an insane pace -- particularly since it went on a binge after 2008.

Nearly every country now (including Europe as a whole with the Euro) is in a financial war in which it is trying to import inflation by destroying their currencies.

And if your particular faith in the currency you feel safe in hasn't eroded, frankly it should be.

It has an end game. And one that is very likely closer than I think most people on here realize. I will go with Jim Rickards (google him if you don't know who he is, please) and suggest that we are going to have a dollar crisis within the next 3 to 5 years. In the past, I would never have predicted that, because we could always reverse course. But we have backed ourselves into a corner in which it is inevitable. I just wish I could time the collapse. In the mean time, yeah, I am not mindlessly holding dollars as they lose value due to a deliberate debasement. I want to protect my wealth.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is an important difference between the sort of scarcity that gold and silver bring vs. the kind of scarcity bitcoins bring. There may only be 21 million bitcoins ever, but it's relatively simple to create functionally equivalent copies. Litecoin and several others have already done so.

9. RickStain

I'd like to see him actually try to get $800k out of them.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Basically. I don't love gold just for the sake of loving it. Two things could get me to trade it in for some other form of money.

1) If you can find me a fiat currency that is NOT being intentionally devalued -- which makes it a shitty way to store your wealth.

2) People lose their faith in gold as a store of wealth. I see no signs of that at all.

It's a currency that offers me the best store of wealth I can find.

I have no confidence that a year from now or 10 years from now that anyone is going to value a bitcoin. To me, it might as well be a cabbage patch doll.

My question to you would be, let's say I offered you $1,000,000 today and told you you can have it in 35 years. Until then, it sits buried in a hole in the ground.

Which would you feel most confidently is going to protect the value of that wealth? 1 million freshly printed one dollar bills. ... 1 million dollars worth of gold bars at today's value in dollars. ... or say, 1 million dollars in Apple stock.

Don't think speculatively. Think purely in terms of trying to preserve your wealth. Which would you choose?

11. RickStain

Hahahaha. Another one? Seriously?

These are beginning to happen every few months.

"Hey guys, I created this site where you can deposit your completely untraceable, untrackable currency. ... Ooops, we got hacked and it's all gone. Pardon me while I go retire on the millions I earned in a completely unrelated way."

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was another story about the guy, which I'm too lazy to look up right now, in which he did cash in about half of his bitcoins for $400K or so in real money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.