1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bissinger: Turn off The Olympic Lights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/opinion/13bissinger.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=slogin

I agree - Stick a fork in them.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Remove the politics and hold them in Athens every 4 years, like the ancient Greeks did.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

With the athletes naked and covered in olive oil.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Oil me up, baby ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. I'm more and more inclined to agree with Bissinger.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

In my 10th grade English class in 1984 I argued that they should abolish the Olympics - since they were too political - and was met by raised eyebrows and harsh criticism from my classmates. Never knew I was such a forward thinker. :)

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I disagree. As the world's biggest (in terms of just putting it on, not TV ratings, so please don't bother to respond, soccerites) sports event, the Olympics are going to be messily morally compromised because this is a messily morally compromised world. It might make Buzz Bissinger feel better if he doesn't have to confront that fact through the Olympics, but that's an exercise in kidding himself.
    The Olympics can be a disgusting example of corruption ( I oughta know, I covered Nancy and Tonya). So can all sports. The Olympics can also be thrilling and somewhat inspirational, just all sports.
    The world's relationship with China and the nasty piece of work that is its government is complicated and fraught with moral perils. That would be true if the Olympics had never been reinvented.

9. Fine. Then let's save ourselves from a quadrennial public demonstration of all of that.
    I don't see how Bissinger is "kidding himself." These Olympics are a public commercial for the worst regime on earth. People in China who have said this already have been disappeared, In this, they are of a piece with far too many Olympics of the past. One less gigantic public public fraud is all to the good.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The problem is that the Olympics were awarded to China with the hope that all of the problems with the nation's rule would be toned down/abolished the minute the announcement was made.

China didn't care, was overjoyed, spent tons of money into public works and coverup and now is being exposed.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Olympics are one big public commercial in general regardless of location.

The end is near.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The one problem I had with the column is that he compares athletes using performance-enhancing drugs to incidents in which people were killed (1968 massacre, Munich in 1972) and puts them in the same context on why the Olympics should be ended. There's no comparison to someone putting a needle in his butt to someone getting killed.

Draft saved Draft deleted