1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bissenger's Anger Management Problem

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Jul 21, 2008.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

He wrote this in the NYT today:

The N.C.A.A. resorting to such manipulation? It sure sounds plausible to me, maybe because of what happened when I tried to bring my camera into Rosenblatt to take pictures of my sons our last night there. I had done so the three previous games by dutifully showing my camera bag to security and was whisked through each time without a whimper. But the fourth time around, I was suddenly told by a security official that I had professional grade equipment and the N.C.A.A. does not allow such equipment into the games, presumably on the basis that I would take pictures and then try to sell them (no offense to my kids, but I don’t think they have much value on the open market).

I have a nice camera and some nice lenses, but they are not professional grade, nor am I a professional photographer. I tried to explain this. Blank stare. I tried to explain that I had no intention of shooting pictures of any of the players. Blank stare. I tried to explain that the pictures were for personal use only. Blank stare. I offered to let security officials keep the camera until the game was over so I could accompany my sons inside. Blank stare. I asked why had I already been allowed to enter the stadium three previous occasions with my camera. The answer back was that the enforcement of the N.C.A.A. rule had been lax. What rule? I didn’t see it posted anywhere.

An argument ensued, and I openly admit it got heated. An N.C.A.A. official in an orange shirt was called over. He had one of those little faces born in contempt, and he wasn’t happy. He curtly told me to take my camera bag back to my car. I told him I didn’t have a car since I was staying at a hotel on the Iowa side of the Missouri River and had gotten to the games by shuttle. He told me to go back to the hotel. I told him I would miss most of the game if I had go back to the hotel, not to mention the fact I was there with my sons. More heated argument ensued. More security officials arrived, excitedly smelling the scent of action. Camera alert! Camera alert! More argument. One of them got into my face. I got into his face. He pushed into my body. I pushed into his body.

I do not recommend this.

Roughly half a dozen security officials tackled me and threw me face first into the concrete, causing an ugly gash on my leg and a silver dollar-sized bruise on my arm. My glasses broke. One put me in a chokehold while another handcuffed me, all of it occurring in front of my three sons. They were traumatized. I was traumatized. Over a camera. At a sporting event, a college sporting event that likes to think of itself as the ultimate family affair.

I was told I was permanently banned from Rosenblatt. I was threatened with arrest. The gash in my leg was bleeding, a matter of concern because I am on the blood thinner coumadin (the result of recent five-hour reconstructive surgery for a clot in my leg) and one of the side effects of the drug can be unchecked bleeding.

Then, just as mysteriously, I was allowed to return inside, still bloodied and sans camera, which as part of the negotiations for re-entry was left with an acquaintance I barely knew. Back inside, I ran into a man with a lens on his camera as long as Pinocchio’s nose. I asked him if he had had any trouble getting inside. He had no idea what I was talking about. So much for fair and evenhanded enforcement.

But the experience of Omaha has taught me a valuable lesson, just as I think maybe it taught the city fathers of Omaha a valuable lesson. No matter how ill-advised or expensive or illogical, don’t even think of messing with the N.C.A.A.

Just put up. And shut up.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

First, this is a d_b from a few days ago.

Second, who is Bissenger?

3. jps

jps Active Member

d_b

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/58861/

Edit: Recognize this is technically a D_B of a D_B ... though in the previous D_B comment, there was only a spelling correction. No previous thread link. ;)

4. You serious?

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

About not knowing who Bissenger is? Yes.

Bissinger, on the other hand ...

6. Yeah, yeah. I get it now. Stupid me :)

Draft saved Draft deleted