1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birthday discrimination

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RossLT, Dec 7, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Last night was my best friends birthday and we decided to go out and celebrate. The only problem was the bar that we wanted to go to decided that they were not going to let one of the eight people in our party in. Their reasoning was that he violated the dress code policy of no baggy jeans. The thing was the jeans that I was wearing were way more baggy than what the other guy was wearing and I had no problem getting in. I can't help but think that the only reason that the he did not get in was because he is black. The thing was they had denied entrance to like five other people, all of whom were black, because they violated the policy. Meanwhile a few dozen white people who had way baggier jeans than any of the guys denied entrance got in.

So as the guy in my group is standing outside, with me feeling like an asshole, my best friend and I are listening to a guy explain the dress code. I am trying to not to get upset when they give us some bullshit line about how the dress code is there to protect the patrons.

We decided to leave and on the way out we told the owner, who saw a group of seven people walking out of his bar and approached us, that we were not going to spend money in a place that openly discriminated. I have to admit what I saw last night made me upset and will probably stay with me for a while.

Just needed to vent, thanks for listening.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Looks like that'll be a birthday your buddy won't soon forget.

That certainly blows, dude. But you can really learn from an experience like that: Don't go into bars that have dress codes. They're most likely overpriced, way too crowded and, therefore, suck hardcore.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They don't have a dresscode. They were looking for ways to keep black patrons out, it sounds like. Someone should raise hell. Alert the media.
    It happened here with an Indian person and the club caught all kinds of hell. His turban/headgear/whatever it is called violated the "no hats" rule.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Indeed. Tell someone who can stick it to the club.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The only lesson any one could possibly learn from this is that racism is alive and well.....Good job for telling the owner why you were ALL leaving...

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Wow, and according to a conservative publisher here, racism can no longer be used as an excuse because, well, we elected Obama. So there's no more racism.

I Concur with I Digress. Good job for letting them know. Now, let many others know.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience at a resort hotel a couple years ago. The resort gave armbands to its guests, who were to use them to gain access to the pool. This rule was followed sporadically, as far as I can tell. So I'm in the hot tub with probably 15 other people. About half of us had the armbands, including one black guy. Hotel wonk comes up and says those without armbands have to leave, and he's looking at the black guy. Everybody just stared at the wonk. The only one who leaves is the black guy, and even though others didn't have arm bands, the wonk walks away. Seemed obvious to me what was going on, and I wrote a letter to the hotel's corporate offices. The only thing I can add is, yeah, it does happen.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Could you name the club? I don't want to go in there by mistake someday. I take a lot of enjoyment knowing that these places will never get a dollar of my business.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You weren't out with Joe Barry Carroll, were you?

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Three words: Better Business Bureau.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Word for word. If the place has a dress code, I don't want to be there.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Dan the name of the club is Parlor Billiards. Anyone know if I wrote a letter to the BBB would they do anything?

Draft saved Draft deleted