1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birmingham News: Tuberville out at Auburn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 3, 2008.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If Saban left Bama for Auburn the same day that a nuclear missile was detonated by terrorists over Los Angeles, which one would be above the fold in newspapers across the Yellowhammer State?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, but there's some debate in the legal world as to whether non-compete clauses can hold up in court ... indentured servitude being unconstitutional and all ...

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bammers would hire a hitman... some turkey hunter from Walker County...

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Larry Langford.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And both would be buried in the New York papers by the Plaxico Burress saga ...

6. PopeDirkBenedict

Non-compete law is very fact-sensitive. I wouldn't venture a guess as to whether it would hold up, but it is definitely not a slam dunk either way.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you really think Auburn fans want to see the spread back after this season?

Can't see Leach going there after the poor reception that Tony Franklin received.

8. So you coach Auburn to six consecutive Iron Bowl victories against Bama, plus everything else Tuberville did, and you have one bad season and that's it? You're right. That's zero tolerance, I'd say.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

Auburn fans would cheer on a single wing run by a black gay yankee if it meant beating Bama and winning the SEC.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Or some guy from Ft. Rucker ... ;D

11. In closing on the topic, Saban took a mild shot at the news media for building up programs beyond reasonable expectations.

“There eventfully gets to be an expectation that no one is ever satisfied,” he said.

I'm guessing he meant "eventually."

On another thread there is a discussion about putting words in someone's mouth. Did the writer assume Saban was taking a shot at the media with that quote, or was there more we didn't get to read? I'm curious if anyone else who was there can fill us in, because the quote by itself doesn't seem to implicate the media.

I think sometimes the media gets a little defensive and does some interpreting that might not be accurate. Maybe this was. I'm not knocking the writer, but I don't get "media" from that quote.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To bad Kordell Stewert has no more eligibility

Draft saved Draft deleted