1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville to publish three days a week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alanpagerules, May 24, 2012.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What I read is that the papers' web sites will remain free. FREE!

If the market can't support a daily paper in New Orleans and its 75 percent penetration or papers in Birmingham, or Huntsville or Mobile, then how can you justify daily papers in Memphis or Nashville or Jackson?

If it works in, and it won't, because the model in other places has shown that it doesn't, regardless you'll still see other media companies make this switch.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Just to follow up on this:

Annarbor.com did not send a reporter with Michigan softball in the super regional. They used photos from Tuscaloosa paper. Story didn't have a byline on it, so not sure if it was rewrite or stringer.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Softball? I wonder how many papers do travel with softball.

As for the Alabama thing, I still can't see how anyone is making money on these web-first ideas. OK, so you have a reporter who writes a story, even breaks news. You put it on your website. I read the story on your website, which just gives me one less reason to buy your printed product, thereby decreasing circulation.

So where are you making revenue? Is anyone making substantial revenue on web only advertising? (Hell, I never even notice ads on websites.) On pay services? How is this supposed to be working?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even if they were still printing a daily paper I highly doubt the AA News would send a reporter to Tuscaloosa for a softball super regional. The softball CWS? Probably.

5. mjslovin91

mjslovin91 Guest

Yeah, they ran a rewrite. Much easier when the game is nationally televised.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Couldn't help but notice what was lacking in today's Birmingham News.
    Had another employer in town made such a drastic change in its business model, the News would jump all over user opinion.
    While the TV stations were like vultures on a carcass before the 5 p.m. news on Thursday, with standups outside the building and reader reaction, in the print edition on Friday the changes were trumpted, but never was heard errr.... printed.... a discouraging word.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Maybe they're saving the big news for the expanded Sunday edition.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

In 2001, (I think) I was a stringer for Ann Arbor when Michigan played in the softball regional in Tuscaloosa. So they didn't travel even back then for softball.

9. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Talk about a very subjective word.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

The idea is you would pay to read the Website. Ads on a Website cost much less than ads in print, but the production of an actual newspaper (design staff, paper printing costs, a press or outsourcing the actual printing job, etc) costs more than it does to maintain a Website. That stuff was all explained to me by someone.

So, I can assume that this is the economic side: while the actual revenue is lower, the expense is also lower and the idea is the difference in expense from before to now is greater than the difference in revenue from before to now.

I could be wrong but it makes sense to me.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

There's an online model that works, but it involves almost constant work to pull it off. And a staff of, oh, about six people. Preferably two of whom write for free.

BLOGGERS! are slowly figuring it out.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Online revenue cannot support a news operation as we know it on the local level, with the exception of the largest papers in the country. What will happen at most places if they stick around is the Huffington Post model with a couple of paid reporters for investigative work or major beats, but everything else covered by low-paid or unpaid contributors.

Subscriptions and rack sales are supposed to be a break-even proposition to pay for pritinting and distribution. Print ad revenue pays for everthing else. I doubt online ad revenue would approach 15 percent of print ad revenue.

Draft saved Draft deleted