1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville to publish three days a week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alanpagerules, May 24, 2012.

1. Read and weep

Read and weep Member

While this news is disturbing, I found something else equally disturbing when checking out the al.com site. They actually have a thing on their high school sports page called "Be a reporter" where they ask citizens to report high school scores, stats and standings. If this is how they compile their information then maybe they really should just give up. Can just see Johnny Smith's dad reporting on Johnny's varsity baseball game: Johnny Smith was 8-for-8 and pitched his 10th perfect game of the season. He also made several outstanding plays in the field. Give me a break. Looks to me like these "news" organizations have already given up.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They travel for football and most basketball. Don't think they traveled outside Michigan for hockey.

Michigan is playing Alabama in softball today. Not sure if they sent a reporter to that.

Any of the Olympic sports, they pretty much link to the UM athletic web site.

The other D-I A college in the area, they MIGHT staff home games, but not always.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for Andrew Gribble, who left a great gig in Knoxville to go cover Bama 3 days a week.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

These websites are fabulous, and free, right now.

What will happen?

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well, they're free. Fab is only if you want to burn out your retinas.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They can't stay free. No way. Not possible.

7. Luke Brietzke

Luke Brietzke New Member

Gribble will be fine. These beats won't be covered three days a week. The reporters' bylines will be in the newspapers three days a week, but there will be new stories on AL.com every day.

Reporters won't stop reporting on a daily basis.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This is more like the rest of the Boothies such as Flint and Grand Rapids, rather than Ann Arbor. The fine folks at Newhouse shuttered The Ann Arbor News, then created a new print product. They cut back, but didn't close, the rest of the papers.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But if history is a guide, they'll do it with a pay cut. And if they won't, dozens of people are lined up behind them who will. Quality doesn't tickle the spreadsheet.

God I'm glad spnited didn't have to see this day.

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I don't think so. You're probably thinking of the Capital Times, Madison's former afternoon paper, which went online primarily in 2008 with two print editions a week. And I believe that paper is now just the weak half of a JOA. No online only success there.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. He won't be covering Bama three days a week. This ain't that hard.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No it's not...though it will be a pain in the ass, aggregating Monday and Tuesday practice/presser/injury stuff into one Wednesday story. You have to write an online version to keep up with the competitors, and a whole different print version so as not to look like you missed a day with Saban and Co.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted