1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville to publish three days a week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alanpagerules, May 24, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Those are the days where people pick up the paper the most often because of the ads the coupons and the real estate sections... Those three days are when the paper makes the most money. By not putting out a physical section on the other days, they save a shitload of money...

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Which Madison?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The shitload of money also gets saved because editorial gets further cuts too, whether through firings now or attrition soon. Thus the quality of the product further declines. And we go marching merrily along.

And if you thought being a politician in Alabama or Louisiana was a license to steal already, this just put a bullet in the meanest watchdogs in the yard.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I think Mizzou means Ann Arbor. And, there's no way they're rolling in cash on that site.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If this had been a raging success in Ann Arbor, the company would have done it earlier and other newspapers would have followed suit.

It looks now like Newhouse/Advance/Hybrid is forcing the issue.

6. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Wow. This is a big-time deal right here. I'll be interested to see how many other newspapers go this route.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figure Bama won't be the last. Once one paper does something drastic, other papers feel they need to (or are justified to) follow along "to remain competitive."

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Copycat industry. I can see this at MediaNews properties soon.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It hasn't been in Ann Arbor, as WolvEagle just pointed out.

The focus is much, much more narrower now (which is probably obvious since they have fewer people reporting).

You went from a 50K or so that covered 30-plus communities and whittled it down to pretty much one community (with occassional forays into the surrounding cities for big news).

10. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

What I'd really love to see is someone figure out a model that actually, you know, works.

Patch? Tried the hyperlocal route. Losing money.

Metro dailies? Losing money and subscribers because the print model is dying out.

Community dailies? Cutting back on staff.

I can't see a future in this industry for myself, or anybody else, and that's hard to accept.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

How much resources does annarbor.com devote to Michigan coverage? Are they traveling like the paper would, or staying at home for everything except maybe football?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wisconsin State Journal... The Madison paper. I'm pretty sure they've been printing only on Wednesdays and Sundays for some time now...

Draft saved Draft deleted