1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Birdscribe on Jeopardy - SPOILERS, SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Apr 3, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I will never get tired of reading "worm wrangler".

Not ever.

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Man, that woman on the far right was a fuckin retard.
    She was asked to compute the circumference of the circle WITH THE FORMULA C=2(pi)r and r=5 on the screen!

and she said "What is a radius?" ALL SHE HAD TO DO WAS SAY WHAT IS 10-PI!

and I felt proud for knowing the answer on that Daily Double. Had no idea McGill was the name of a fur trader, but when the clue had "famous university in Montreal," I figured that would be as good a guess as any.

But seriously, bravo, BS.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Birdscribe is my hero...

But I'm going to need more details about the librarian straightening up the naughty college boy...

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm that kinda guy. :)

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's one way to put it, yes.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I could kick so much ass on Jeopardy, but I'd be breaking my journalistic vow of poverty.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

OK, details time...

First point, does anyone have any idea how damn hard it is to nurse a lead with FOREIGN CINEMA and MATH as your remaining categories? ??? I knew two foreign cinema questions (the first two, one of which I got beat on the buzzer) and the math questions were beyond the realm of simple computation. And I wasn't going to play stupid and guess on a $2,000 question at that point.

Speaking of the $2,000 question, the answer that the aforementioned "worm wrangler" stammered through? They stopped tape for 25 minutes and called judges from who-knows-where to verify her answer. All the while, I'm praying they don't give it to her. That would have locked up the game for me and rendered it unnecessary for me to bet anything on a category like "Countries of the World," nor deal with a brutal question like that -- one person has e-mailed me saying they knew it.

Instead... after further review... they gave it to her.

I didn't know McGill was a fur trader. I knew Joliet was and it was the first thing to pop into my mind, even though I knew that McGill University is in Montreal. I went for the kill with that question and should have put things away.

And yes, yes, yes, I'm taking more shots than Mrs. Lincoln in the balcony for my initial blunder (Ben Gurion Airport being in Tel Aviv Duh). Duly noted. But here's a website that recaps the game and provides a breakdown of right vs. wrong answers. I used it to study before my taping.

You'll note my stats at the very bottom.

http://www.j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=23

One interesting thought comes out from this experience. In my past life as a sports reporter, I used to ask players or coaches after a game what their thought processes were on a given key play. Invariably, I'd get an answer such as "I don't remember. I need to see the tape, etc." I'd chalk that up to your garden-variety BS cliche'.

Not anymore. Not after this. On this show, you have to completely be in the moment and block everything out around you. I'd read the question, then take my finger (yes, my finger -- quicker than my thumb) off the buzzer if I didn't know it. If I did, I'd wait for Alex to stop reading the question and watch a series of lights that come on around the game board.

When those lights come on, you're supposed to ring in ASAP. Too early and you get frozen out for five seconds -- an eternity.

The upshot is people would come up to me afterward and ask "What kinds of questions did you get?" With the exception of a few (Daily Doubles, Final Jeopardy), I honestly couldn't remember. Much of what happened came back to me last night.

Thanks for the kudos, folks, and keep watching... 8)

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Way to go, Birdscribe!

Did you tape show #2 immediately after show #1?

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes. I had 10 minutes to change clothes, pee, grab a quick drink, then get back out there.

They tape five shows a day every Tuesday and Wednesday from the Sony Picture Studios in Culver City, southwest of downtown Los Angeles.

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Cool.

Good luck today. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hope you kicked some ass today, Bird!

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Liberia makes a little bit of since after seeing the answer, but I guessed Cuba. I would have never come up with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted