1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bird's Greatest shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great story. Thx for sharing. Never get tired of Larry Bird stories.
    Still an iconic figure and to think he didn't even need a personal brand
    consultant.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The "Larry! is very funny.

3. Songbird

For a good long moment he (and Magic) owned the world.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Songbird

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Great read. Amazing how a guy who was once the best player in the world came SO damn close to bagging it all for a life riding a small town garbage truck. Kinda makes you wonder how many other lost superstars there might've been who stayed on the truck.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

7. Boom_70

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not anything really new in there. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But I kept waiting to read something I didn't already know.

And help me out here: What's the "shot he didn't take"?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I took that to mean the shot to stay at home and work on the garbage truck. Kinda great to not take that.

I'm biased in that I know the author, but I thought it was a very good story. It takes spending a bit of time with Bird to get him to open up, you don't just get him on the phone for a 15-minute breakdown of his youth.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I thought it could be that. I also thought that it could have been the same shot his dad took in a cryptic, morbid sense.

Like I said, I enjoyed the story. But I knew most of it already. And as someone who has covered the NBA for more than a decade of my career, I know Bird does not open up. He's a very strange character who no one will ever figure out. I get the impression the writer spent some time with him but wasn't really able to get him to open up much.

11. Boom_70

Good question. I wondered that also. Felt like I missed something.

Draft saved Draft deleted