1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bird-Magic HBO documentary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Star, I agree that Gumbel is correct that the league was a disaster when Magic-Bird came on the scene and the rivalry basically saved the league. What I don't agree with is his point that people credited Jordan with saving the league. I think most people understood the impact of Bird/Magic/Celtics/Lakers.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is no question that Kareem is the most underrated of the historically great (as opposed to just regular old great players like say, Earl Monroe) players in NBA history.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yeah, I think he was a little much almost jumping out of his chair shouting "bullshit."

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Now that's what I'm talking about.

Dr. J made Converse stylish loooooooooong before Nike.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just watched this for the first time tonight. Some great stuff but just way, way too schmaltzy for my tastes. There was enough great material to just let the stories tell themselves. Instead, too much of it just seemed forced.

A great documentary makes you wish it went on for another half hour. With this one, I was glad when it ended.

Draft saved Draft deleted