1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bipartisan think tanks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Jun 19, 2008.

1. It seems every study we hear about on here or in the media were conducted by partisan organizations with partisan money.

Where the hell can someone read some clear-eyed policy analysis unpolluted by an agenda?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nowhere.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The Potomac Institute

I have had dealings with some of their people, and I would be comfortable characterizing them as non-partisan.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't exist. We live in an agenda-driven world.

You can't have a think tank without money to pay for salaries and research. That money comes from large businesses or major foundations. Very often, you have people writing very large checks to these organizations and it isn't publicized. And no one gives money to something without a reason.

I would point out that just because an organization has an agenda, it doesn't mean the agenda is dishonest or they are advocating what they believe is bad policy. Many think tanks are organizations filled with honest people, not earning a whole lot, who passionately believe in the recommendations they are making.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

First Down, they are not-too-loosely affiliated with Potomac Advocates, a Washington D.C. lobbying group. They have a handful of clients that pay them to lobby lawmakers, including a couple of defense contractors, including General Dynamics and Raytheon.

Where there is money involved, it's hard to call something non-partisan. Their policy positions may not fall along traditional Democrat/Republican lines, but there is always an agenda.

Draft saved Draft deleted