1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Binoculars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Anyone know where I can get a pair and what's a good brand? I mostly need them for football & soccer games, if that makes any difference at all.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I just went to Wal-Mart and bought a cheapo pair for like $15. If you don't need them for anything super-important, that should do you.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Up here you can find them at a lot of places, but if you are looking for a higher end pair try a hunting store and even some camera stores will have them. Other than that, you should be able to find a decent selection at Sears or Walmart or similar stores. I know Sears normally has some in their Christmas catalog. As far as a good brand, I couldn't tell ya. I think Bosch & Lomb are supposed to make some good ones, but beyond that I have no idea.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

You'd probably find your best price online, but if you don't want to wait, head to the sporting-goods section at one of the big-box places like K-Mart. You don't have to go overboard on the magnification, either, especially if you're using them for preps. I ran out and bought a spiffy pair of 16x50, used them for part of one football game, and discovered the field of focus was too narrow for my liking. I switched to an old pair of 10x25, small enough to fit in a coat pocket, for the rest of the year. They served me well.

That's from a typical small-town high school press box, though. Around here, most of them are relatively close to the field. If you're working from the corner of the end zone at an NFL stadium, you might want a little more power.

And as you'll note from both of those links, I use Bushnell glasses. Good quality, decent price.

5. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I'll mostly be using them for preps, but I can easily see me bringing them to any pro or college games I either work or just watch.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I use the smaller ones from my seats at Ralph Wilson Stadium (15th row/20-yard line in the lower bowl), but I do like the full-size model when I'm sitting in our family's club seats (directly across from the press box). So, you might want something in the middle, 16x32 or thereabouts.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Nikon makes really good ones.. if you go cheap, get the lenses that have filters. Mine have a red filter, which you can't see.. don't ask me why, ask your mother.... It makes the colors sharper, handy for those hard to read prep jersey, like dull gray numbers on black.

Draft saved Draft deleted