1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bin Laden's Shooter Speaks.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Feb 12, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Compelling interview:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Esquire-exclusive-The-man-who-shot-Osama-4257539.php

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I heard the man who killed bin Laden is worried that he won't have healthcare, job prospects, or security when he leaves government employment.

But, that can't be. President Obama will have government healthcare, a pension, plenty of opportunities to earn money, and Secret Service protection.

3. The guy who killed Bin Laden doesn't seem very smart as to what type of benefits he should bevgetting. And your concern is noted.

4. YankeeFan

Esquire gets some facts wrong, then has to admit it lied in defending itself:

5. YankeeFan

I haven't seen this reported elsewhere, but the article, when talking about career opportunities, talks about potential work as a security contractor.

It mentions the deaths of two "contractors" in Benghazi as a reason why that work might not be attractive.

But, they were not contractors. That was their cover. It was later revealed that they were CIA employees.

It's a shame, and a big mistake, to get this wrong.

6. Imagine Esquire's response if the writer was a "cut open a vein" type.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I don't think he retired. He was at 16 years, about four shy of full retirement and he is not eligible for a new 15-year retirement plan.

Tough shit, buddy. You got out at 16 years and knew the consequences. I'm sure the SEALS had plenty of non-deployable jobs homeboy could've ridden it out in for his last four years.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bingo.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Thank you.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Maybe Esquire was just getting the facts wrong intentionally as they tried to transcend the art of non-fiction. You should only make stuff up about non-historical people, I've learned.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Indeed, this sounds pretty damn whiny from an elite member of a "buck stops here" kind of outfit. And someone needs to point out the difference between "retirement" and "separation."My brother was eligible to retire from the Army because he served for 20 years. I was not eligible to retire from the National Guard because I didn't serve long enough. The Stars and Stripes reporter should have known the difference. Frankly, it should have been pointed out to the guy who wrote the story, though given his experience covering combat, even he should have known the difference. More to the point, OBL's executor should have known the difference. If he were as smart as the story indicated, he'd have shut his yap.

On another point, I read the online version and the 5-year thing was not in what I saw.

12. turski7

turski7 Member

Plenty of non-deployable jobs? In the SEALs? No chance. Theses dudes are an elite fighting force, not paper pushers, mechanics, engineers, etc. They just don't sit around and do admin work or anything else that doesn't have to do with training to killing the enemy. Shit, SEALs are on deployment for more than 300 days per year.
    He probably could have been an instructor, but other than that, there are not plenty of other jobs in the SEALs.
    Now, he should've/could've transfered to another unit in the Navy, and coasted for four years.
    I thought Obama should've given each of the 24 members on the OBL assault a slice of the $25M bounty tax free. That would've cured this issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted