1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Wagner HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 16, 2010.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Sub 220 wins in Hall

Stan Coveleski
    Chief Bender
    Jesse Haines
    Don Drysdale
    Hal Newhouser
    Rube Marquard
    Jack Chesbro
    Dazzy Vance
    Ed Walsh
    Rube Waddell
    Lefty Gomez
    Sandy Koufax
    Addie Joss
    Dizzy Dean

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And none since Drysdale? Is that correct to say?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many wins do Sutter, Gossage and Eckersley have?

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

"...it will be interesting to see how pitchers like Pedro Martinez and Johan Santana, who will likely never get close to 300, will be treated by voters."

That certainly raises the point that you feel there might be a chance he doesn't get in. If you feel he's a lock, then why even put his name in that sentence. There are lots of other names that could have made your point better.

But as always, you put points out there in the guise of "it will be interesting to see..." and then quickly backpedal when people call you out on it. It's been the Mizzou way for as long as I can remember. I was just pointing out how prevalent it's been of late on these HOF threads.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Mizzou way? Wow, you're giving me way too much credit.

However you read it, I was never implying that Pedro would not get in. I was citing him as an example of someone who will not get to 300, but will get to Cooperstown.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Technically yes. Newhouser played before Drysdale, but was elected later.

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

All right, fair enough. Then why lump him in with Santana, who would need a significant career revival to have a shot at Cooperstown. Santana had a really good peak, but it was nowhere near the otherworldly numbers that Pedro put up.

Draft saved Draft deleted