1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Wagner HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Oct 16, 2010.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Jose Canseco deserves consideration, too. He only allowed three runs in his whole career.

2. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Wagner was/is much more dominant than Hoffman, though. I think the thing that will hurt Wagner is that he will be overshadowed by Rivera, who is the only modern reliever in baseball outside of Gossage who I'd rank ahead of Wagner.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Insufficiently famous.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wagner struck out more batters, but he was not a better closer than Hoffman in his prime. The problem is that Hoffman hung on and was useful for a long time after his prime, so that is what some people remember. They forget how good he was at his best.

5. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Best 5 ERA+:

Hoffman 265, 226, 198, 190, 179
    Wagner 293, 287, 279, 275, 247

Even in their best years, Wagner was a better pitcher than Hoffman.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Simple answer: No fucking way.

7. HeinekenMan

I thought it was the Hall of Fame. I didn't realize that it's actually the Hall of Guys with the Best ERA+.

I know performance and stats count for a lot. But don't forget what the Hall is all about. It's really a place to remember the historic figures of baseball. Billy Wagner was a great relief pitcher. But he's not a historic figure. Hoffman is. I would put Curt Flood in the Hall of Fame before I'd put Wagner in the Hall. We don't have to celebrate every talented ballplayer with a spot in the Hall of Fame.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

How is Hoffman a historic figure?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I assume he is saying that because Hoffman is the all-time leader in saves.

10. HeinekenMan

Sorry. I thought everyone knew that Hoffman holds the career record for saves.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I know that but I don't consider him a historic figure because of it.

12. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

The only thing Hoffman is known for is accumulating a lot of saves. That does not make him an historic figure of baseball. Rivera on the other hand...

Draft saved Draft deleted