1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy The Kid ... still an outlaw

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No pardon for Billy The Kid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/01/us/01billy.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

[​IMG]

Billy: Ol' Pat... Sheriff Pat Garrett. Sold out to the Santa Fe ring. How does it feel?
    Garrett: It feels like... times have changed.
    Billy: Times, maybe. Not me.

Great movie (if you see the director's cut).

2. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I saw this a couple of days ago, and I'm surprised it was an issue to begin with. If the guy killed an officer, why would you pardon him, even if a governor made a promise to do it? You're not bound by the past to do anything, including pardoning a murderer.

3. As I understand it, the pardon only covered the killing of Sheriff Brady. Not the two deputies Bonney killed during his escape or any of the other six or seven men he is believed to have killed.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thinks this news is bullshit.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Since by all evidence BTK committed multiple additional murders in addition to the one he was supposedly to be pardoned for, Richardson should be officially censured by the NM legislature for spending even one second of state time or one cent of state money on the idea of pardoning him.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, he helped Bill and Ted pass their history presentation, thereby passing their class and going on to save the world, so Billy has that going for him.

7. I think Richardson has a valid case to consider. Bonney's relative approached him and previous governors wanting the government to honor a pardon "promised" to BTK by Gov. Wallace.
    The dispute is over whether Wallace actually promised BTK a pardon.
    As you and I both noted, the pardon - which is largely favored by supporters based on romantacized characterization of the man - only covers one death. Bonney killed several others.

8. Starman

Wallace (allegedly) made the promise. It was up to him to deliver, or not.

Richardson shouldn't have been wasting time and money on it and should be censured for doing so.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So by that logic, any governor who hears an appeal for pardon on a case that happened before his time in office should face censure?
    Isn't considering pardons -- some of them from decades ago -- one of the routine things governors do on their way out of office? I'm guessing this was one of many that crossed Richardson's desk in the last month or two.

10. Starman

When there's abundant evidence the subject committed multiple additional crimes as bad or worse than the case in question, yes.

If anything, the NM legislature should pass a resolution censuring Richardson and also expressing the opinion that given competent prosecution, Bonney would likely have been convicted and executed for the additional murders, and expressing official regret the state/territory of NM did not get the opportunity to do so.

11. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

Billy the Kid with a pardon:
    [​IMG]

Billy the Kid without a pardon:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If Richardson had granted a pardon, I'd agree with you. But just for hearing it? When there's obviously some interest in the state for doing so, at least from a historical standpoint? I think you're overreacting juuuussssttt a bit.

Draft saved Draft deleted