1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Powell Skynyrd ketboardist dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I've been thinking about the cover band remark and I do need to back off that. I know who they have now and yes, they are talented, although pallister thinks Haynes and Trucks suck :D

"No One to Run With" is one of my favorite songs, but I guess my point is that the early stuff is what resonates more with me, personally, and made more of a mark musically speaking.

2. Why do hippies gravitate toward the Allmans while Skynyrd became the band for Jack-sippin' rednecks? Bizarre how the two giants of Southern rock, both their sound absolutely anchored in traditional blues, have such drastically different fan bases.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Hey, I think Warren Haynes is great. I'm a hug Gov't Mule fan. Derek Trucks has gone way too hippie for me, though.

My nephew used to rave about him all the time. Saw his band, Oteil and the Peacemakers, at the same festival in which I skipped the Allmans.

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Kidding, pallister.

For a while back over on the music thread seemed like all you did was post GM songs :)

Did think you liked Trucks, though.

Back to the cover band thing, I saw ABB around 76 and I have to be honest, I wouldn't go see this incarnation. Doesn't mean the musicians can't perform the material, just too many original members are gone. I would go if Betts was there, but don't think that will happen.

I would go see a GM show or Trucks and his wife, whose name I'm spacing on. Susan Tedschi, maybe?

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

blasphemy, plain and simple ....

6. pallister

pallister Guest

It is Tedeschi. At one of the concerts where I skipped the Allmans, Trucks and his wife closed the night's festivities with a 2 a.m. show. I missed it.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My first thought. I really enjoy that song.

8. lono

lono Active Member

That's easy. The Allmans play long instrumental jams that lend themselves to smoking dope and kicking back. Skynyrd played catchy pop songs, most of which were 3-4 minutes in length, "Freebird" being the obvious exception.

9. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

As much as I adore Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix, and Zeppelin and the Beatles are my favorite bands.
    Word on the street from Madison Square Garden ticket scalpers, who were friends of mine, was that the Allman Brothers and Grand Funk Railroad were the hottest tickets in the early to mid 70s.
    Hype or no hype, those two bands were getting paid the top bucks to go on tour.
    It's ashame that there isn't that kind of diverse rock 'n' roll offered to folks these days.
    Video certainly killed the radio star.

10. Well there is. More than ever actually. But everything is so fragmented now that you don't have the big rock albums and acts like you did in the '70s.

11. The original Allmans played blues even when they went soaring off into the long instrumentals, and they played blues cuts that flat burned. (Eat A Peach has both the 30 minute "Mountain Jam" -- based on a tine by Donovan, that foof -- and killer short versions of "One Way Out" and "trouble No More.") They also played alt-country -- "Blue Sky" -- before it had a name.
    Skynyrd deserves a lot of respect, but they just weren't that versatile.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

It's been a long time since I listened to any Allmans; I may have to change that.

I liked them a lot back in the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted