1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Goat Tavern to be ‘displaced’

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Nov 12, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Very unique place. Not at all what I expected. Have to wonder if it will really re-open if it closes for some length of time.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That Cubs fans flock to the Billy Goat, still owned by the descendants of the guy who claimed he put a curse on the team, says everything about why they're Cubs fans.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That's a Chicago landmark. It may be displaced, but I don't think it's going anywhere as far as a permanent loss.

4. YankeeFan

You're not saying it's an official landmark, are you? Best I can tell, it's earned an Historical Marker: http://bit.ly/1gHMtak, but I don't think it has landmark status.

Either way, landmark status usually applies only to the exterior of a building, not the interior, or the tenant.

What may save it is that it might be a tough space to rent, given it's location. But, if it's going to be a high end condo/hotel, they might want that space for any number of reasons.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Naaa, Yankee, I wasn't referring to it as a historic property. It's just a place Chicago tourists go to for the experience. That's all. ;)

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Great journalism topic.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Haven't been there in ages but recall the photos of notable Chicago newspaper writers and editors on the walls. Them that died had little "30" plaques beneath their photos.

(There, does that make this a journalism topic?)

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We were talking about this place before an NBA game this week. It's cool the first time you go but the second time? Not so much. Little pricey too. But the decor is pretty cool.

9. JR119

JR119 Member

It definitely means something special to a lot of us current and former Tribune & Sun-Times employees. Some of the best post-work adventures began at the Goat ... then to Mother Hubbards? or the Boss to see Karen:) ... or how about some all-night poker at somebody's apartment.
    It was a great place to pick up a quick bite during a shift. I was addicted to those egg & cheese sandwiches.
    The Goat will always be one of my favorite places.

cranberry likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

Without context, Dick's post reads as sarcastic. But, as a local, I think he was being serious.

I purposely posted it on the Journalism board, as I know it's a favorite of Trib and Sun-Times writers, is a bit of a shrine to famous Chicago journalists, and is a frequent stop for out of town journalists.

What alerted me to the story was tweets from the Trib's overnight crime reporter seeking recommendations for bars that were open at 7:00AM, when he gets off work.

11. joe

joe Active Member

Went to the Billy Goat once before a Cards-Cubs game. Service was spotty, to say the least, because the place was absolutely packed. And Old Style sucks.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know I made it a point to stop in during journalistic trips to Chicago. And, in fact, first time there was with a friend from the Sun Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted