1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Donovan going to Magic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by friend of a friend, May 31, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Rob Lanier we hardly knew you

2. Remember, he was also offered the job at UK. I won't believe he's gone until somebody from the UF side comes out and says he's leaving. All this stuff from the Magic, gimme a break. It's fitting the live under the shadow of the Big Rodent.
    Heard rumblings a couple weeks ago that his demands in the NBA were $7 mil a year AND complete control. If he gets that, then sure, good luck. But I wouldn't say it's a done deal. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't jump ahead too far too fast.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Completely different situations...

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Dick Vitale just reported that it is not a done deal, that in his heart of hearts he knows that Billy Donovan is ultimatley going to stay. He said the lure of being in college basketball is special and what he has built in Gainesville is too special to walk away from.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well that's it, then.

I can't think of a better source than heart of hearts.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Dick Vitale is now back on sportscenter -- now that an NBA official has confirmed that Donovan has agreed to take the job -- he's going on and on about what a tremendous opportunity to coach Dwight Howard and how intriguing the NBA is for many college coaches. He said he can understand it and the money they are offering "is a lot of coin."

Even by Dickie V. standards, that backtrack tap dance was awfully quick.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's almost doubling his salary and has a chance now to distinguish himself from Pitino...

I'm stunned that people are so critical of this move. He wants to have success at the next level... Good for him...

8. Even the AP has it now. So good luck to Billy D and say hello to the next UF coach, Jay Wright (though Anthony Grant would fit just fine...)

9. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Money + always being second fiddle to football no matter how many consecutive titles he won=no brainer.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How the hell would he know? Did he have a layover on the way back from Durham?

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For 36 million I'd do just about anything accept give up my children or french-kiss Rosie O'Donnell

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry, for that kind of coin I'll kiss Rosie.

Hell, I'd kiss her rusty ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted