1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Corgan does not play well with others

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Mar 26, 2009.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Homer Simpson, smiling politely.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

They were still playing?

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

It's too bad. Of course, like lots of fans like to point out, Siamese Dream was largely a Billy Corgan solo project. He played all the instruments except drums.

It's always interesting to me how the same artist, using the same artistic part of his brain, has trouble recapturing the same stuff. It would seem if you can write good songs, you can write good songs, period. I don't know. Maybe it's like a ball player hitting a good stretch or having a breakout year, one that he can't replicate.

Although I enjoyed the followup to Siamese Dream, Corgan's stuff never really connected with me after that.

Then again, maybe he's just a egotistical prick.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

As if it wasn't before a Billy Corgan exclusive before. D'Arcy was useless. So was James Iha. Billy wrote and performed all of the parts. Just like Trent Reznor.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, like CAKE, Weezer and many others, SP was always the frontman/singer/songwriter and his back-up band.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

They just got back together not that long ago.

I caught one of the reunion shows, and it sucked.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Aren't most bands like that?

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

A lot of bands are. The bands that have more than one singer-songwriter usually aren't.

Then it's a clash of egos (see: Eagles, The; Fleetwood Mac; Crosby, Stills and Nash)

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Had I not seen this thread, I wouldn't have known. I haven't listened to the Smashing Pumpkins since high school. Today is my favorite song of theirs.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

They didn't play much of the stuff that people ponied up to see. Corgan doesn't want to be a nostalgia act.

And no one has sat him down and explained that he's a no-talent assclown who never recaptured the two- or three-album magic he had way back in the day, and that no one wants to hear his electronica-fusion bullshit.

Play Today and Bullet With Butterfly wings. It beats working for a living.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No kidding. 1979, I'd pay to see. Same with Muzzle -- to a lesser extent. But I wouldn't be interested in anything pre-1998 or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted