1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bills khakis (fixed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 15, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Re: Bill's khakis

I seriously thought this was going to be the punchline to Monica's dress.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The big shock is that Frank hasn't kicked in some of his always-fashionable observations.

Maybe's he's off.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I like Jos. A Bank's khakis. They feel studier compared to Dockers and Savane and you can usually get them on sale.

Just ordered three pair of the Traveler twills online, they should be coming in tomorrow or Monday.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I have two pair of Bills Khakis (stone and olive), both half-price from Sierra Trading Post. They're nice, the fit is good on me.

These are a good deal and cheaper:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/0,21939_Orvis-Shot-Shell-Twill-Pants-Flat-Front-For-Men.html

Although I got some a year ago for $20 from Sierra Trading Post.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It would have been a goddamn shame if no one quoted this brilliant post. Exceedingly well-done sir.

And I really thought this would be about Clinton too.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nah the time has passed on Bill / Monica jokes. Besides Bill does not wear the pants any longer in his family.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Uh, any longer?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

His pants have to be longer, he's a foot taller than she is.

Maybe we need to get with Haggar on this. She might be having that whole LBJ barbed wire issue, it would explain a lot.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Bills (no apostrophe) are U.S.-made to World War II era specs (khakis became popular in this country when returning servicemen wore theirs on college campuses). They're popular with grownup preppies (company founder went to the Hill School in Pennsylvania). They're good pants, but I don't think I'd pay full price. Charleston Khakis (also USA-made, by Berle) are pretty much the same thing and retail for $20 less. The Lands End vintage khakis are considerably cheaper and yet heftier but -- and I don't know if this is always the case or just because I bought them in the overstocks section -- the fly is a little small and there is some maneuvering required at the urinal, thus I seldom wear them although they are otherwise nice khakis. The Brooks Brothers are just fine and that's what I mostly wear -- and cheaper than Bills or Charleston.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I need to do some more restocking, so I will check out your additional suggestions.

11. Boom_70

I second the banks cotton twills - on sale $35 - you can get 3 paiirs for what you pay forf Bill's pants

12. Boom_70

It was bad enough hearing LBJ discribe his problem. The last thing I want to hear is Hillary discribe a problem with tight slacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted