1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bills' Kevin Everett in surgery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 9, 2007.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That, and the injection of Solu-Medrol. (That's a strong corticosteroid, right, Doc?) Still a long, difficult road to recovery, but there's a lot more optimism than there was just 36 hours ago.

On a personal note - my seats in section 109 are probably no more than 30 feet from where Everett fell. I watched tape of the Utley and Byrd injuries on TV, but this is the first time I've seen it happen right in front of me... and I hope to God it's the last.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I finally saw the video and he falls in such an unnatural way. I can't imagine being there.
    Sorry you had to see that.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Great Dave Hyde column from the Sun-Sentinel
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-flsphyde12nbsep12,0,2403442.column

Point being that Buoniconti's foundation has played a key role in preventing what happened to him from happening to someone else. Pretty fucking amazing all around.

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

High dose steroid (solumedrol) use in spinal cord injury has always been controversial. Initial studies but the National Institute of Health were suspended because the data seemed to overwhelming support usage of the drug. Since then, the use of the drug has come into question and is no longer considered the standard of care.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Did not know that, Doc. Thanks for the info.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I forgot to include a couple of refernces or links about steroid use in spinal cord injury. Mea Culpa.

http://www.caep.ca/template.asp?id=6ac5624e27aa4cba8bbcc037ee2d4355

7. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Doctors in this area of practice are ALWAYS baffled when patients' get up and walk out of their hospitals.

This doctor should be SLAPPED for his initial interview. It was highly grim. Then Everett's body healed itself.

Now he's stuck with egg on his face. This goes to show medicine especially neurological medicine is in an embryonic state.

Draft saved Draft deleted