1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bills' Kevin Everett in surgery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 9, 2007.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Doctor says injuries are "catastrophic" and "life-threatening."
    Chances of regaining full range of body motion are very small.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012739

2. Excellent news on today's SportsCenter.
    Doctors are now saying that Everett has movement in his extremeties and, as unlikely as it seemed yesterday, they expect Everett to eventually walk out of the hospital under his own power.

Evidently, the way they treated him (lowering the body temperature very quickly after the incident) played a big part in his quick response.
    Great news!

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Great, great news. Here's hoping what they said tonight will come true.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Great, great news. Props to the docs at Millard Fillmore.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

It's wonderful if this is his outcome, but he's lucky, it's too bad about all the other spinal injuries in this country that won't get immediate and comprehensive care as he did.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great, great news.
    It dawned on me tonight that I covered a Miami game at VT where Everett dropped a sure TD on a fake field goal. Lots of papers ran a picture of him on the ground with people surrounding the end zone laughing at him.
    "Doesn't seem at all funny now," my son said earlier today.

So glad to hear this news, let's hope it continues to get good.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

That's why I wish people weren't so WE NEED A PROGNOSIS NOW!
    Bet the doc is kicking himself for being so dismal yesterday.
    They said, they'd know better after 3 days, they should have waited to update until then.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

DocTalk can talk better on this than anything but isn't this always the case with these type of injuries? Or no. Not that you get better the next day, just that it takes a while to tell.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It takes a while for the swelling to subside so they can know what is permanent and what isn't. But the prognosis they gave right away was based on what is usually the case. Usually an injury of that sort means paralysis. Apparently the doctor who was there, and treated him within minutes, was familiar with research they are doing about injected patients with spinal cord injuries with a cold saline solution as soon as possible. He did it, and it may allow this guy to walk again. Apparently by putting the body into a hypothermic state, it doesn't allow the swelling to begin that causes the paralysis. If that is the case, this is damned miraculous. The doctors were saying they weren't aware of a case in which a guy with an injury this serious was given the cold saline injection this quickly after the trauma.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Great great great news

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bills' owner Ralph Wilson is a major donor to the Miami Project. The old AFL guys look out for their own. RW is one of the league's best owners.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Fantastic news, I hope everything works out for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted