1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bills' Kevin Everett in surgery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Sep 9, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Bills player in emergency surgery for cervical injury.
    Just announced on NBC, I'll post more when i get a link.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I was watching this on Sunday Ticket and knew it was bad right away. He fell straight to the ground after the hit and his arm was twitching. Very scary. Hope the surgery is a success.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They talked about it on Fox's postgame show about an hour ago. They don't know if there will be an update on his condition tonight.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I saw this live as well. Scary stuff. Worse when no cameras were catching any movements, then complete with the Bills holding an impromptu prayer session en masse on the middle of the field (and please folks ... I'm not religious, just telling you what I saw).

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i would imagine he'll be in surgery all night, so i wouldn't imagine there would be updates until tomorrow. :( :( :(

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

From the Buffalo News:

Everett lay motionless on the turf at Ralph Wilson Stadium for 15 minutes after making the tackle on the opening kickoff of the second half. Everett, a second-stringer in his third season with the Bills, went down after driving his head into the ball carrier, Denver's Domenik Hixon.

An ambulance wheeled Everett off the field and took him to Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Hospital at Gates Circle. Aside from movement in his eyes, he had no movement in his body as he was taken off the field. The Bills reported he was in surgery Sunday evening.

7. Oh my God.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Just saw on ESPN that Kevin Everett may have incomplete paralysis.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

What does incomplete mean? Not neck down?

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more. And tomorrow the thread will be RIP Kevin Everett

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Essentially, it's swelling around the spinal cord - a form of shock that causes paralysis. Once the swelling subsides (and that can take at least a month), the severity of injuries or lack thereof can be better determined.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

He won't die.

Draft saved Draft deleted