1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billionaire asks for $650 million tax handout. 36 hours later, bang-zoom OKed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mich-senate-oks-bill-help-021119124--nhl.html

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It cracks me up that liberals bitch about this kind of stuff.

When you give governments more and more money, and the right to spend it how they choose, this is what happens.

And, liberals just want to grow government.

Take the money away from them, and they won't be able to give it to billionaires.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And the gradually expanding tentacles of political threadery continue.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a purely political situation.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And there's a place for such.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I hate public deals for private sports teams. I once reviewed for a client the development agreement related to the building of a minor league baseball complex. The developers got 50% of every parking ticket written on game day and 50% of parking fees on the city lots even though the developer contributed nothing to writing the tickets or running the lots!!! Talk about a give back.

The Mich. senator was right, that's 12.8M/yr that could go to public schooling.

7. Starman

The overall price tag for the project is $650 million and you can assume, 1) that estimate will be wildly low, and 2) whatever the final cost, the vast majority of that sum will come out of public money.

But, anything to lick the nutsacks of the Job Creators.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Lotta union jobs will be created to build this place. Thought liberals were all about that.

9. Starman

Not nearly as many as the pom-pom shakers say and mostly short-term.

There are plenty of schools and highways that need fixing.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Investing public dollars in the NHL is lunacy.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Handing out $650 million in MUNICIPAL funding in a city falling apart as badly as Detroit to anything except essential services is lunacy.

The debt rating agencies have Detroit's muni bonds at junk status, and downgraded them even further a few weeks ago. The situation there is dire. The city is strapped for cash and there is a very high likelihood of it defaulting on its bonds or filing for bankruptcy sometime relatively soon. I am not sure how this source of funding relates to that, but Christ, if you can find $650 million in municipal taxes in Detroit, how the hell doesn't it go to paying down debt and at least trying to make the city solvent before it goes bankrupt?

This is everyone reaping what they sow. Some people on here get upset when I go on that GM thread and call it lunacy that we are $16.5 trillion in debt at the Federal level, and we have politicians acting corruptly by issuing more debt and handing it out to special interests they want to buy off. It's the same thing, whether it is a labor union that you buy off with bags of money, a campaign contributor with an idea for a battery for an electric car (which ends up going bankrupt and the handout ending up pocketed) or an arena in a place like Detroit, which is a fiscal mess and can certainly use $650 million to try to pay some of its creditors off.

In scale, what we are doing at the Federal level is massive compared to this, but in terms of insanity this one is hard to believe. Detroit is SUCH a mess. If you can find $650 million to do anything with, it should immediately be going to pay off the massive debt that is strangling the city. You don't stick your head in the sand and take a trip to disneyland -- or in this case, use it to buy off a constituent with an arena.

People's idea of the role of government has gone batshit insane, and it is going to sink this country if we keep up at this pace. It is certainly going to sink Detroit, which was pretty much sunk already with or without this stupidity. But this is downright criminal given that.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Taxpayers getting hosed again; I'm shocked.

Someday, we'll learn. Probably not in my lifetime, but someday . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.