1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Wirtz Dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Sep 26, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-070926wirtz,0,2542617.story?coll=chi-elections-utl

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Just caught the story on Fox Sports. Hard to imagine that Dollar Bill isn't going to be around with the start of the season approaching.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The franchise now has some hope.

4. It's going to be interesting to see how things change -- if they change. From what I understand, Peter Wirtz has been running the franchise, for all intents and purposes, and he seems to be interested in making the changes that Dollar Bill never would have made, starting with marketing the team better in Chicago. That just wasn't Dollar Bill's style.

A Blackhawks game at United Center does not quite resemble a Blackhawks game at the Stadium, but there are still enough trappings -- like the big-ass organ and the chirping bird calls -- to make going to a game a lot of fun. I'd love to see the team have more success. The fans who are left are loyal, and they deserve to watch a decent team.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

....on TV.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What's gone is gone. The pillars, which left even the second balcony virtually on top of the ice, made the place second to none. And there was NOTHING like the original Chicago Stadium organ:

http://www.catoe.org/barton.html

Unless you were at the Stadium for a Hawks game during the Golden Era, you ain't never been anywhere, and you've never seen (or heard) nothin'.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Harold Ballard has a friend again...

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Active Member

I was lucky enough to catch a Hawks-Wings game at the United Center a few years ago. Nice place. Tiny bathrooms.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

One of the guys on my softball board called Wirtz the worst owner in sports history ... I laughed and immediately thought of Harold Ballard ...

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Wide stance, perhaps?

Loved, loved, loved seeing a Hawks game at old Chicago Stadium. The anthem was always a great moment to experience.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I disagree. That franchise already had some hope since it has some of the best young talent (Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Jack Skille, Brent Seabrook, Duncan Keith, Martin Havlat) in the NHL.

That's going to be one of the things associated with Bill Wirtz. He was very petty and cheap; a former vice president of the NHL once wrote that Wirtz believed the best way to market the 'Hawks was to have "Hockey tonite!" on the marquee.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'll have to mutter a few prayers of contrition today, because I felt a little spark of joy when I learned of the death of another human being this morning.

Yup, Ballard has a friend again. Wirtz or Ballard? Hard to say who's the worst owner in the history of hockey (or all of sports), but that'd be a pretty good debate. Plenty of evidence on both sides. In each case, no cups since the 1960s.

I hope someone doesn't break Toews before he bulks up a little. Talk about a skinny kid...makes Denis Savard look like Gump Worsley. Grow Toews' hair out and put him in a black hoodie and he could look at home in an emo band.

Anyway, I think I might renew my Hockey News subscription after all.

Wish Keith Magnuson and Billy Reay were around to see this day...not suggesting they'd exult in Wirtz' passing, but I think everyone who's suffered with the organ-I-zation over the decades is probably a little optimistic today. When I think of two guys who gave their heart for the club and never won a cup, those two are the first to come to mind...a shame they won't be around to see a Hawks renaissance, should such a thing ever happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted