1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill White's New Book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Apr 4, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Along with Phil Rizzuto & Frank Messer, Bill White was a huge part of my childhood.

As a young kid, I had no idea that he was black or that he was a former star player with the Cardinals. I just knew him as one of the voices of the Yankees.

He has a new book out, and it gets a write up in the Times today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/sports/baseball/03white.html?src=me&ref=sports

I always feel bad when I read about guys like White or Tony Kubek who leave the game and have bitterness towards it instead of happy memories:

I was happy to read this part:

Has anyone read the book, or are you planning to?

Also, how did he end up doing games for the Yankees anyhow? He had no connection to the team that I know of.

I remember being completely surprised when he was named NL President as he had been a yankees announcer for so long and had not seemed to be grooming himself for that kind of job.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Glad I saw this post. Great stuff here.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

>>>I remember being completely surprised when he was named NL President as he had been a yankees announcer for so long and had not seemed to be grooming himself for that kind of job. <<<

If I'm recalling it correctly, he didn't want the job. But he felt he should take it because he thought it was important to have an African-American in that position. I'm sure he details this in the book.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Never liked the Yankees or Cardinals, but Bill White is cool and doesn't take any shit. I like that.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Me to. White has stayed true to himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted