1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Walsh has leukemia

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trouser_Buddah, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Best of wishes to the pioneer...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2656909

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As an Los Angeles Rams diehard -- why, oh why, did they have to leave? -- but anyhoo, the thing I always remember Walsh by is how he scripted the first 25 plays of the game and never strayed from that list. All adjustments were based on the success and failures of those first 25 plays. I wonder how many of today's coaches will run 25 plays before straying i.e. "the run isn't working, and even though it says we have to call 3 more run plays in a row to keep in line with the game plan, well, we're going to throw the ball now ..." Discipline was the name of Walsh's game. Wanted nothing more than for the Los Angeles Rams to beat the 49ers, which made the few times they did so during the Walsh era so sweet.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I thought it was 15

4. Songbird

It could be, but 25 seems to really stick out. That's what made it so impressive, because the first 25 plays usually takes you to halftime, or close to it. Any Walsh fans might want to clarify, or, I'll look for it on the 'net.

5. Songbird

Found it ...

http://users2.ev1.net/~jamrtm/Walshgameplan.html

This is a piece of it ...

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He's no Dennis Green.

7. Songbird

I read about 3/4 of that tome. Good stuff in there.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

His book is a 500-page treatise on success, a lot of good stuff including sample pregame speeches, play schematics, organizational pyramids. Good luck to Bill.

Draft saved Draft deleted