1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Snyder; Next Coach at KSU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The "Kansas State Way." Heh.

He was 9-13 his last two years there and lost recruiting battles all over.

At least the grudge football should be entertaining again in the Big 8 Big XII.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yup, Iowa State...great move two years ago firing McCarney -- the ONE coach in the United States who could take the Cyclones to bowl games and NOT go fishing for a better job because he actually liked living in Ames.

Idiots always get what they deserve.

As for Snyder, make sure it's the proper butter for their rolls at the team meal. He could be a grouch because it's Manhattan, Kansas. Hard to get to and very hard to cover on a consistent basis.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Funny how the K-State peeps forget about that. He wasn't completely sold on retiring. He was sort of shown the door because people felt they needed a change.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thing about Snyder: 61-13 in non-cons; 75-53-1 in the Big 12; 6-5 in Bowl Games. Winning records only against Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma State, but I think the big one was he was 14-3 against Missouri.
    I'd rate him right now ahead only of Briles, Sherman, Hawkins, and Chisik.

5. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've never forgotten because that first losing season was my freshman year of college. We only went to a bowl game once in four years and I started there in 2004, just nine months after we slaughtered OU in the Big 12 Championship.

Whether you like him or not, he can recruit and he can coach. Plus, there are going to be some BIG changes happening next year in Manhattan, since Wefald (the school president who's been there for more than 20 years) is retiring. He's all buddy-buddy with our "athletic director" (I use that term lightly. Very lightly.) so if we don't have a new AD, one who can actually DO the job justice by the end of next year, I'll be very very disappointed.

6. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Sad, but true... [/vandalfanboilooser]

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Montana would kick the Vandals ass. I'm not so sure about the Bobcats, who are mediocre at best. Plus Deonte Jackson is a hella good player, even if it's easy to shut him down since Enderle is a pathetic, INT-throwing, D-II level QB.

I will now go shoot myself for knowing that much about Idaho.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

He was not "shown the door." He -- obviously now -- could have coached in Manhattan as long as he damn well pleased.

Whether the game "slipped" away from him, I don't know. I guess we'll see. He never really was able to stop the spread offense, save the ass whooping of Oklahoma in the 2003 Big 12 Championship. A lot of blame has been placed on his assistants for the team's demise. Toward the end they were too often old friends with sob stories in desperate need of a job. He never fired any of them when a couple clearly deserved to go. The hope is that with a new, more energetic staff he can get around that problem.

Will it work? I don't know. Speaking as a fan, I'll believe anything that man sells me. More objectively, I wish they had conducted a real coaching search.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They didn't need to waste any time or resources on a search because they know the fans would follow Grandpa to the ends of the earth.

10. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Somehow, when a friend told me he was in the running for the job, I knew he would get it. They didn't take the time to look for someone to run the athletic department and just hired from within, so what was there to make us think that they were going to actually try to find a coach other than Snyder?

I miss Tim Weiser. He would never have let the athletic department go down this far.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

He defnintely won't get a free pass, that's for sure. I remember hearing one story about how he scolded an assistant because, on the way to a stadium somewhere in the Big 12, they had to wait for a train at the railroad tracks -- because that assistant should have known when that train ran, because it threw the team off its schedule.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah there was a reason Stoops, Mangino, Venables, etc. jumped to OU when they had the opportunity. Working for Snyder was Hell for assistants and after he lost that great group of assistants K-State was never as good.

Draft saved Draft deleted