1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons with a nice column about his dog

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You have some big anonymous muscles.

Good for you.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you're an anonymous irresponsible pet owner ... good for you.

3. Simon_Cowbell

It's weird.... I had just sat the cat down for a two-hour seminar about not running in the street.

Too bad I didn't get those two hours with the person driving 50 in a 25.

Based on your response, it seems like you have gladly greased your share of others' family pets by racing dozens of mph over limit.

Like I said, you are one strapping, Franco Columbu-looking anonymous presence.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm not columbo.

and your anger is misplaced ... imagine an animal dying because it's standing on pavement meant for moving vehicles. shocking, i know.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Not ColumbO, you fucking dolt.

Animal greaser.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

god, it appears as though you're violating more of the board rules and still not taking responsibility.

grow up.

7. KG

KG Active Member

I was going to post something meaningful, but I'll wait until the cat fight is over.

8. Simon_Cowbell

can't wait

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

What is regretful to me is that Simmons and his family put their dog through months and months of what was likely an extremely painful existence, including frequent chemotherapy. Love is knowing when it is time to let go.

A dog, or cat, or other pet, cannot speak to you and tell you just how bad it feels. Similarly, you cannot explain to your pet why you are putting it through long, painful experiences over and over and over again. Why prolong a dog's life in an ever-increasing state of pain, confusion and disability if you know there is no chance of recovery? Why not offer it mercy while it still means something?

Dogs live to please and they will please you, suffering immense pain while trying not to show it, until they absolutely cannot do so anymore.

These same sentiments apply to human health care and the decisions we all make for our suffering parents in their last weeks, months and years. How many of us have heard our parents tell us they just wanted to go quietly and peacefully at home, only to be rebuffed and overruled by less-involved siblings and relatives who insisted that their parents be sustained in pain and sadness until their body finally quit on them?

Draft saved Draft deleted