1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons v. Dane Cook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by thebiglead, Sep 17, 2007.

1. His Daily Show segment is called TrendSpotting.
    [​IMG]

2. Why don't you all f-f-f-f-f-f-ade away?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I scanned this quickly, but no mention of Adam C. on the Man Show? Kimmel and him were great on that show. Then two true hacks killed it forever.

I used to like Simmons a lot more than I do now. His wife picking against the spread with him was pretty clever. He does have very good taste in music, and his pop culture stuff is pretty good. His Premiership soccer breakdown was a good read as well.

When he writes 3000 words defending the Pats or the Sox, it does get a little old. His reader email stuff is getting stale as well.

and...

Dane Cook = Box Office Poison

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Man Show was a pox on the ass of comedy.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Bill's "Stop Picking on the Pats" column was absolutely nauseating today. I think I dry heaved twice during the "We live in a world where..." paragraph. But Dane Cook has such a gigantic lead in this race, Bill would have to write nothing buy whiney colums like this for five years just to make it interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/bostonblog

It does, however, make me chuckle to know that five-plus years ago, aspiring sports writers from all over the country were driving home, late at night, exhausted from whipping together a 12-inch prep gamer, and finding comfort in the sounds of Adam and Drew trying to talk a stripper on methadone into applying to junior college.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As somebody who watches more Premiership than college football, college basketball, NBA, MLB and NASCAR combined, I disagree strongly with that.

7. 93Devil

No way.

The petition to do away with suffrage...
    Adam working at a hardware store...
    The rude young boy...
    Them playing two-on-two against two juggies...

All pure genius.

8. 93Devil

Really?

I'm not questioning you, but why? I'm curious to know what was flawed with it? Were facts messed up?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Oh, Lord, yes. It wouldn't be a Simmons column without myriad factual errors. The column was entertaining to me, but it left factual behind pretty early.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Those bits redefined comedy.

11. 93Devil

Lord, I guess the blue type wasn't even needed there.

12. 93Devil

ahhh crap.

I ejoyed the column as well (both parts!!!), but I am not enough of a soccer expert to see the problems.

"Hey, Dickie Dunn wrote this! It's gotta be true!"

Draft saved Draft deleted