1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons' typing skills

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by John Drama, Jun 4, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He was writing for the Jimmy Kimmel Show.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think he moved out there because he was working on the Jimmy Kimmel show.

Back to typing, my handwriting was so bad, I had to take a typing course on an electric typewriter in eighth grade, even though the rest of the class was juniors and seniors. I didn't type that well, primarily because the teacher said my age. My hands weren't as big as the older kids.

Now, I still type with all the fingers, and can do about 70 words per minute.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

My first editor typed with two fingers, smoked cigarettes and drank coffee while peering over his old Royal through an office window into our tiny newsroom.

When he typed it sounded like a machine gun with a little bell attached. It was wonderful to be part of that.

I don't care if someone types with their big toe while standing on their head in pudding. Be a good journalist and write a good story. That's it.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I know a lot of reporters who use two fingers. And a lot of guys online type fast with one hand.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Until I was forty I was one-fingered and just spaced-and-capped with my left hand. But I got a manual typewriter for my sixth birthday and was as fast as you could be with a single digit. And because I learned on a manual I pounded the keys. I drew a crowd for the typing test in J school, passed with over 40 words pretty easily. It was like watching Ali work the speed bag. I've mellowed. With soft-touch computer keyboards I tried typing with both index fingers. What I could do with two fingers that I couldn't do with one (I think) is touch type--not terribly accurately but pretty close, good enough to type in the dark or look away.

o-<

6. 93Devil

"But I got a manual typewriter
    for my sixth birthday..."

WTF

I have to ask...

Is this the gift you requested, and if so, why?

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Knowing your prodigious output, this ranks as the single most-shocking revelation I've read here.

Oh, and I learned on a manual so I hunt and peck. Loudly. I broke two electronic typewriters writing my senior finals papers, and have trashed keyboards uncountable since then. However, chronic split fingertips in winter have led to an increased use of the middle fingers.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Yeah, it was a request. I worked my way onto the grade 2 reader in kindergarten. In Grade 1 I started handing in typewritten assignments. As a result of typing almost exclusively I can't actually write script ... had to try it up to Grade 8 but I packed it after that. Just typing or printing. (Some here might have seen my micro scrawl, it's smaller than the type on the screen and was a real headache to those marking my exams).

o-<

9. 93Devil

Thanks

If it makes you feel better, consider yourself ahead of the times because script is no longer taught in many school divisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted