1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons, trending.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Jun 23, 2020.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt argue that if you swapped ‘Pretty good producer A’ for ‘Pretty good producer B’ that any listeners would notice, but you still have to have the person.

Could be wrong but I doubt Bill Simmons knows the first thing about audio levels etc and could do it on his own.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm sure the people who produce @exmediahack's newscasts love seeing how much he values what they do.

3. Regan MacNeil

I sent @exmediahack's post to a former TV producer I know: "Without producers, you wouldn't have a show to anchor, you ungrateful dick."

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ryen Russilo is the number 2 guy on Ringer podcasts.
    He's basically Simmons-lite, all the way down to the New England frat boy type moving to LA to hit it big.
    I cannot believe that there isn't a better, more diverse #2 man out there.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bart Folding went from open mic fizzle to Fallon in just a week.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The whole control freak because he's a single child thing ... other control freaks, with siblings, were Mussolini, Hitler, Pol Pot.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That’s fine. Ask your former TV producer if their anchor always offered to write headlines, bumps, intros, the nagging secondary stories, log sound and turn anchor packages and quietly fix their 25 mistakes and spelling errors per newscast. - Ungrateful dick.

8. exmediahack

And that’s where the value is. Trouble is... it’s very rare. When you have a great producer, that is content gold.

9. Regan MacNeil

Do you have any idea how much work goes on behind the scenes so you can smile in a suit and tie and read from a teleprompter? Not only that, but you complain constantly about said job. I'm sure there are plenty of up-and-comers who would kill for your position. If you hate it that much, do something else.

10. exmediahack

I love what I do. Love it even more when I work with producers who really care about the product. That’s maybe... 30 percent of the producers I’ve worked with.

The other 70 percent. It becomes news triage when you’re 60 minutes from news time, half the show isn’t written, graphics aren’t in and the few stories that are written have fact errors or aren’t updated.

A good anchor can do every job in the newsroom somewhat proficiently and I do — I see a lot of lazy anchors and their two-hour dinner breaks. They’re the ones who kill morale and the newsroom. But I never expect a producer to do anything other than produce.

11. Regan MacNeil

Are you in market 200 or at a Fox station? Those sound like management issues.

I guarantee that people don't get into this business as a producer and get paid as little as they do if they don't care about the product.

12. exmediahack

I see it every day. Every day. Yes, management issue. Yet if I don’t see any flicker of interest after a few months, I shift from teaching to fixing. I treasure seeing producers jump from here to a Top 30-40 — common jump from here.

If you’re in a Top 40, you very likely still care about the product.

We are in a stretch here of adding newscasts, regardless of market, but not adding staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted